Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst Port Access/Authentication

demodog
Level 1
Level 1

All:

IOS (tm) C3500XL Software (C3500XL-C3H2S-M), Version 12.0(5)WC3b, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1

I'd like to test 802.11x authentication using a CAT 3548 and Steel Belted RADIUS in a test lab.

Question: Does the IOS on the switch support this?

If not, which version do I need?

??

Rgds

S

3 Replies 3

Craig Norborg
Level 4
Level 4

I believe you need a new switch. AFAIK the 3500XL series switches does not and will not support dot1x authentication. The 2950 or 3550 should do quite nicely though (12.1 release train vs. 12.0 for 3500XL). Here is a link to configuring it once you get a switch that will do it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800d84b9.html

thanks Craig:

h'mmm .. I don't think I need 802.1x at all for what I'm trying to do. I beleive what I need is aaa configured to authneticate a user to a radius server.

Once radius passes blessing, the switch will grant the port access to the netwrok accordingly.

However, I thought this was 802.1x in a nutshell.

??

The only "aaa" that a switch will do is to authenticate a user to log onto the switch, unless it is dot1x capable.

dot1x was developed to grant users/machines access to the network by authenticating them before allowing them to pass traffic on a switchport (or via wireless). So you are correct, that is dot1x in a nutshell. Without it a switch cannot do what your looking for, which is why the 3500XL series won't do it. There is no other mechanism to accomplish this at a switchport level, at least on Cisco equipment from what I know.

You could use other things such as port security via mac addresses and such, but dot1x is required for what you are looking for.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: