cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst Routing Modules and DHCP Secondary Addresses

tracey.marshall
Level 1
Level 1

My customer has a number of Cat5509s with RSMs. They are using secondary addresses on the RSM VLAN interfaces and have configured DHCP static mappings. With this configuration, they are able to serve DHCP addresses to hosts on both the primary and secondary subnets. The RSM config is straightforward (ip address, secondary ip address and helper address). I am surprised that this works at all; my understanding was that the DHCP relay always uses the primary subnet. Anyway, the same customer has now installed a number of Cat4006 switches with WS-X4232-L3 routing modules and they are unable to serve DHCP addresses to hosts on the secondary subnets, even when they are statically mapped. I have reproduced this in the lab. I have used the latest version of WS-X4232-L3 IOS and have not been able to make this work. Does anyone know why this should work with a Cat5509 and not a Cat4006? Any ideas on a workaround or when this will be supported with the Cat4006? Many thanks!

2 Replies 2

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

As per this URL this definitely is supported http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/netmgtsw/ps1982/products_user_guide_chapter09186a00800ade6c.html#xtocid15

but I donot get any information on the web regarding the support for this on 4006.

jbartlom
Level 1
Level 1