Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

CATALYST TIME PORTAL???

we have a strange situation on a production network

the chain of devices goes Scanner10mb__>media converter10mb___>catalyst2924 switch

upon tracing the port that the scanner is connected to

we see a set of packets with a delta time of 1ms

the vendor of the scanner says the equipment cant physically do this

the vendor of the media converter says it does no buffering

so if both of these are true does this mean that the switch is accelerating the packets ?

or more accurately is it sending them closer together?

3 REPLIES

Re: CATALYST TIME PORTAL???

i have researched this and opened a cisco case but i just wanted to see if there were any "hits" from anyone who may have seen this before?

BTW my personal expierience and the cco says the answer is no .

Bronze

I'm not sure what you mean by "tracing the port that the scanner is connected to". Are you talking about traceroute, or are you sniffing the traffic somewhere?

1ms is a long time -- even a 10Mbit Ethernet segment can transfer ~10,000 bits in a millisecond, which equates to part of a large packet or several small packets.

I have taken sniffer traces I agree that 1 ms can be a long time "on the wire" I also agree that a pc or even a small terminal would be capable of back to back packets. our scanner, a production line component is triggered by an optical sensor, that breaks a light beam, this puts the scanner in read mode. the parcel passes under the laser scanner,

the scanner then reads the barcode on the parcel and sends a single packet to the LAN

the question posed to me was is there any way the cisco switch can buffer the packets then release them back to back in essence faster than they were originally sent

my initial response is no

however small the switch would have to add time to the transactions not speed them up

my instinct, CCO and the sniffer trace tells me the device must be malfunctioning or the media converter is somehow buffering and storing then sending the packets

the scanner vendor, our production line personnel and the vendor tell me the scanner cant read and send that fast, the media converter doesn't buffer

and otherwise the scanner seems to be working normally

I was just trying to confirm that the switch cannot

speed the packets up

but if you have any other ideas or suggestions I am wide open

I just seem to be at an impasse

Views
Helpful
Replies