Cisco Support Community
Community Member

CatOS to Native

I am very confussed about the conversion process. I read it a couple of times actually.

In my case all i did was move the new IOS image to the external flash and pointed the sup and the msfc to boot from it, that is all i need to do right? in a nutsheel? or i am totall wrong?

I mean i do have to go and set the registers etc, but in a nutsheel this is what needs to be done?

where is the file

c6msfc-boot-mz.121-19.E1a that they are talking about in the doc??? i can not seem to find any file on CCO that has E1a as an extension???

Please help, is this any special file?

Re: CatOS to Native

Its a very simple procedure. I have done this atleast 40-50 times on Sup engines (mix of 720 and Sup 2s). Rather than the conversion of OS, the most scary part is the configuration conversion, if your time frame to do this conversion is very limited in production environments. The CATOS to IOS config conversion tool does not always work properly. So you need to understand the appropriate equivalent commands under both Operating systems.

Here is a brief summary of what you need to do in Sup 720 to convert from Catos to IOS.

a, backup existing CAtos and MSFC3 IOS to TFTP server or flash card.

b. get an empty CF card and store the appropriate Sup 720 IOS (native) image to be loaded into bootflash. You might as well use a CF reader on your PC to transfer the file from CCO to the card.

c. Session into MSFC. Do a "sh bootvar". Change config register it 0x0, so that next time MSFC is reloaded, it will go to rommon.

Router(config)#config-register 0x0

d. reload the MSFC.

e. MSFC goes to rommon.

f. Erase NVRAM region for CATOS

rommon1> priv

rommon1>config-register 0x2102

g. Press Ctrl-C three times to switch console back to Cat OS switch promt.

h. Now we need to change config register on switch and reload it, so that it will also go to rommon.

Console(enable) set boot config-register 0x0

i. reset the switch so that it goes to rommon.

j. Make sure you have the CF card with Native image inserted into slot 0 or slot1. At the Rommon mode of Switch, verify that you can read the contents of the CF card.

rommon 1> dir disk0: (or disk1:)

k. Boot this image from the CF slot using command,

boot disk0:

The Sup engine will now boot the switch and MSFC using the Native image.

l. Now note that the switch has booted using new Native image from CF card, but still the Boot flash (which is an internal chip on the Supervisor engine) is formatted using CATOS file system. This need to be reformatted using Native file system. To do this perform command,

Router#format sup-bootflash:

m. The second last step is to copy the Native image using TFTP into the sup-bootflash.

Router#copy tftp sup-bootflash:

n. Final step is to change the boot variable in the switch, so that it boots the Native image from the sup-bootflash all the time

Router(config)#boot system flash sup-bootflash:

The entire procedure may take 15 - 30 minutes depending upon how familiar you are with these steps. It may take longer to convert if you are doing it for the first time. Just make sure you always refer to the document as well as dont miss any steps.

Also your Sup is a Sup 720, so you dont need the boot image c6msfc-boot-mz.121-19E1a, as this boot image is for MSFC v1.

PS: Please remember to rate replies!

Community Member

Re: CatOS to Native

I have a question based on one of the remarks you made in your previous post. When i used the CATOS to Native conversion tool. It did not do any conversion for any of modules . I had 3 switching modules on the CATOS switch config and when i ran the config, it come back with few things it converted and few things it said it did not. But,nothing was mentioned about the port configurations of any of the switching ports. converted config had no reference of ANYTHING for the 3 switching module, when i say the converted config it was as good as no switching cards in my chassis.

CreatePlease to create content