cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CatOS upgrade for 6500 with 10/100/1000 Ethernet blade

gilson_machado
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco 6500 and we are going to install a new blade WS-X6548-GE-TX (10/100/1000 RJ45). The CatOS version for the SUP2-2GE is 6.3(6). What level of CatOS do you suggest? I check the CCO and looks like they have CatOS 8.1, is that good?

Thanks,

Gilson

6 Replies 6

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Stick with latest 7.6(x) if you do not need features of 8.x

vincent-n
Level 3
Level 3

Hi there

Don't know whetehr there is a relationship between Cat6K IOS and Cat4K6 IOS or not but when I went from v6.x to v7.x (on my Cat4K6), I ran into a few problems.

1. I lost all my config when I had to roll back to v6.x due to problems with trunking. So make sure you'll do a show config all and backup all your config before upgrade.

2. If you experience problems with trunking after the upgrade, try issuing the command "clear dot1x config" (cause I'm using dot1q trunking). Apparently this command has something to do with port-based DOT1Q authentication.

Hope things will go well with your upgrade.

We suggest customers to backup configs during upgrade/downgrade. It is documented in the release notes

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/relnotes/ol_1983.htm#141879

Your switch might have been affected by the following bug all along and lost config upon a reset

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/bugtool/onebug.pl?bugid=CSCdx87646

Thanks for your help Vincent!

Your tips are very good. I will observe it.

Regards,

Gilson

ahojmark
Level 1
Level 1

The blades were first supported in 7.6(1). The most recent version of 7.6 is 7.6(2).

The only other option (if you want to run CatOS) is 8.1(1), which is rather new and has many new features.

-A

Asbjoern Hoejmark | CTO | CCIE #8525
Wingmen Solutions A/S | Gyngemose Parkvej 50, 1. | DK-2860 Søborg | Denmark
M: +4525162108 | E: ah@wingmen.dk | W: www.wingmen.dk

john.pepper
Level 1
Level 1

Just did this upgrade to 7-6-1 for these blades and used the following image without any problem:

cat6000-sup2cvk8.7-6-1.bin

However, config on switch was very basic.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco