cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CatOS vs IOS switches

dratan
Level 1
Level 1

Pardon me if this topic has been discussed before, but is it true that Cisco is phasing out CatOS switches, and that all switches will be IOS down the road?

I need to buy another switch for my home lab and the answer to the above will tell me what I should get :)

TIA

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The only switch where you have a choice of CAT OS or IOS is the Catalyst 6000 family(Sup1a/Sup2). All other switches are switches are either IOS based or CAT OS based(Sup3/4 for CAT4006 runs IOS only). We have not announced End of life or End of Sales on CAT OS and we are still coming out with new CAT OS releases.

If you are buying a switch for home, I'm assuming you would be going for a smaller fixed chassis switch such as 2950 or 3550 which run IOS only

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The only switch where you have a choice of CAT OS or IOS is the Catalyst 6000 family(Sup1a/Sup2). All other switches are switches are either IOS based or CAT OS based(Sup3/4 for CAT4006 runs IOS only). We have not announced End of life or End of Sales on CAT OS and we are still coming out with new CAT OS releases.

If you are buying a switch for home, I'm assuming you would be going for a smaller fixed chassis switch such as 2950 or 3550 which run IOS only

Thanks for your speedy reply. Hmmm this is interesting; some other 'inside sources' have indicated that CatOS will be phased out. I could be wrong about this and regardless, Cat OS switches are predominantly deployed all over the market right now.

I already have a 2924XL and want to add another switch, to do trunking etc. I am considering either a 5505, 2950 or a 3550. I would like to get a switch that gives me maximum functionality to prepare for CCIE. Which one would you recommend?

TIA

I believe the 3550's are used in current CCIE lab exams.

yep, thanks...