Views
Helpful
Replies

CatOs

gavin.mckee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

we are powering down our 6509 and have backed up the MSFC IOS Config file to TFTP and to startup config.

However we are running CatOs (Hybrid Mode) as well. Is the VLAN database in CatOs held in vlan.dat like IOS or is it held in RAM? If I switch off the switch then power it on will the vlan database be the same as I last left it?

whats the CatOs equivlent to copy run start?

Thanks

Gavin

3 Replies 3

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Gavin,

The config which you change in CATOS is saved automatically when you hit enter after making any changes. Config in CATOS by default is saved in binary mode.

Also by default, all the config is in NVRAM. NVRAM has different 'blocks' for saving non-default configurations and they are categorized into Global, module,PslVlan, etc.

HTH

Ankur

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Everything is in the config , you don't need to save anything else unlike IOS and the vlan database , they need to fix that kind of ridiculous you have to save 2 different files . There is no catos equivalent to the "copy run start" command , once you make a change to the config it is implemented and saved. All you have to do is "copy config tftp: " command if you are saving the configs to a server. I believe the vlan database is only relevant if you are running in server mode for vtp , if using transparent it is kept in the global config...

Hi, there is a command 'set config mode text nvram' where you can actually do a wr mem on a CAT OS switch to save the config. I really do not advise using it because it may cause confustion when you are working on these style switches.