cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CDP mismatch (Gigabit Ethernet half-duplex????)

avmabe
Level 3
Level 3

HERE IS THE PROBLEM:

*Jun 14 12:25:54: %CDP-4-DUPLEX_MISMATCH: duplex mismatch discovered on GigabitEthernet4/10 (not full duplex), with 3550_2 GigabitEthernet0/1 (full duplex).

I am pretty sure it's something wrong with the setup of the trunking, but I have never seen "unknown 0" listed instead of "media-type LX" or whatever.

Below is the sh interfaces for each.

This is a link from a 4006 to a 3550. The 4006 shows tons of CRC errors, the 3550 does not.

Korr_4006P

interface GigabitEthernet4/10

switchport mode trunk

3550_2#

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

description Link to 4006

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

no ip address

4 Replies 4

mschlenger
Level 3
Level 3

I would try to nail down speed/duplex (100,FULL) on both ends of this connection. The errors you are seeing are consistent with speed/duplex issues.

Thank you for the response, but...

For a 100 meg connection yes, that is exactly what I would do. But this is a 1000Meg link. Longhaul gbics going fiber from switch to switch. There is no "duplex full" option.

I still think it's a problem with the setup of trunking, but I hope someone here will tell me!!!

Hi,

I wouldn't think this is a trunk problem.

I would just for sure add

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

to 4006 config (I'm not sure is 4006 IOS provides ISL as default trunk encapsulation), but I don't think this is the problem.

If the 4006 shows tons of CRC errors, I'd consider either a cable or GBIC problem.

Regards,

Milan

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Some modules in CAT4k and 3550 do 10/100/1000. Can you paste the output of sh ver from 3550 and sh mod from 4000?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco