cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CDP Neighbor Device ID mystery

cajalat
Level 1
Level 1

I have several IOS based switches that when I issue the "show cdp nei detail" command I get a Device ID that includes the domain name of the device. I can't for the life of me get rid of the domain name (I don't want it to show). I've removed all references to any domain name from the switch config yet it still shows. Any idea how the domain name is being attached to the Device ID name when doing a show cdp neig?

20 Replies 20

This is great.

Michael, can you advise is this procedure documented in CCO or somewhere else ? It is very useful. Thx.

One other thing....

You need to make sure NOT to use "ip domain-name my.domain.com" form of the command as this will append the domain name to the DeviceID. I use the "ip domain-list my.domain.com" form instead. Also, you need to pay SPECIAL ATTENTION to VOIP gateways and Call Manager configs. For VOIP gateways such as 2851's using MGCP the Call manager will configure the gateway with whatever name you gave it originally. So if you change (remove) the domain name then you'll need to make sure the call manager's config is also changed within CallManager otherwise the callmanager will unregister the gateway.

Glad to know it fixed the problem!

Jack, as far as I'm aware this is not documented on cisco.com anywhere however I did find a bug associated to this problem. Later versions of code should have this fixed.

Thanks again,

Michael.

Thanks a lot for your clarification. Could you advise is there any bug ID for this issue ? In some support activities, we require vendor info. to support our solution, so if there is a bug ID then it is easier for us to search. Many Thx.

Certainly,

The bug numbers include: CSCsc41856 and CSCee50559. Note that the first one is a duplicate of the second, but it's the only one externally visible to you guys through the Bug system.

Cheers,

Michael

Thx. a lot.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: