cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CDP utility on Windows workstation

cklomp
Level 1
Level 1

I was wondering if anyone had come up with a utility that would tell on which port the user was connected? With the current technology of DHCP and VLANs it is not always easy to trace back where a user is connected.

The user most often won't even know the name of their station and from that you have to get the ip address and then the mac address before you can find the cam entry. And in the meantime CDP could just tell you directly where the user is connected!

Thanks, Chris.

2 Replies 2

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

If you have CW2000 bundle, you can use User Tracking for this purpose which is part of the Campus Manager applications. See http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/cw2000/camp_mgr/camp_3x/cmgr_3_2/u_guide/ut.htm for details.

p.cannon
Level 1
Level 1

I'd vote for this too Chris. I've been searching for just this for the last year.

I understand the info is in user tracking but just having a small desktop utility would enable the Help Desk to take the info from the user, enable PC support to organise their PC moves more effectivlely (i.e. port/VLAN changes).

I've even told FLuke it would make their NetTool a 100% more useful!

You'ld almost not need patching records!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: