Views
Helpful
Replies

CE 500 Problem

bipin_dubey2001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am facing problems with CE 500 switches. After i initially assign an IP to the Switch using the GUI and click on the submit button, It still shows me a blank in the IP address field.

additionaly then i am not able to access the switch thru the GUI.

Neither thru the IP i tried to assign nor thru the default method.

This problem is occuring with few swithces.

Any help on the issue will be appreciated.

Regards

Bipin

8 Replies 8

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

can you able to ping the switchez? did you try opening it thru CNA?

aazim
Level 1
Level 1

When you say this issue happens with only few switches, do you mean that some other CE500 switches are working fine? Please note that you can not assign 10.x.x.x addresses to the switch during the setup. Next release of IOS for CE500 will resolve this issue.

I'm seeing the same thing. I just bought 6 new CE500's and 4 out of the 6 will not accept express-setup enteries - IP address, etc. The problem switches also don't show any "Switch Information" on the dashboard screen. Very frustrating. And yes, 2 out of the 6 work just fine. It's definitely strange.

When I tried a different laptop, I was able to configure the switches. I have no idea what the difference might have been, espeically since 2 of the switches configured properly with the "bad" laptop. Well, it seems that all is well with them now. Strange though.

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Bipin,

Try to following procedure to reset the switch to factory defaults and start the configuration again.

-- RESTORED TO FACTORY DEFAULTS

- Unplug power cord from switch.

- While plugging back in the power to the switch, hold setup button.

- Wait until all LED indicator lights turn amber and release button.

- When a switch port LED blinks green, connect your PC to that port. The port LEDs on your

PC and the switch blink green while the switch configures the connection (it will take

around 1 minute).

- Pull up browser and select either ‘Erase system configuration’ item and click on Submit

button.(make sure that the PC and the web browser is supported

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/catex500/12225fy/ug/intr

o.htm#wp109894)

- At this point, the switch is set back to factory default configuration; proceed with

initial setup procedure again.

- Enter the network settings.

- Click Submit to save changes and finish basic configuration.

- Click Submit to save changes and finish basic configuration.

- Apply Smartports roles.

- Click Restart/Reset on the GUI dashboard.

- Chose the option Restart the switch with is current settings and then Submit.

Please update on the status.

HTH, Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Hi,

I have same problem about assign ip address to CE-500. after doing erase system configuration and then do basic configuration then restart the switch, still can't ping the device and also open the GUI.

please help !

r.docuyanan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Make sure when you click the set-up button during the initial set-up, your Network Card TCP/IP settings should be set to (DHCP enabled) not static ip, somehow the switch goes into an erroneous state. I encountered this so many times when try to troubleshoot the same issue before. Try to erase the config again by using the set-up button method.

Regards

sushilk
Level 1
Level 1

Follow this procedure *step by step*-

The procedure below will reset the misbehaving Cat500E switch to factory defaults:

1. Unplug the power cord from the switch.

2. While plugging the power cord back in, hold the ‘Setup’ button.

3. Wait until all LED’s turn amber, then release the ‘Setup’ button.

4. When a switch port LED blinks green, connect your PC to that port. This PC’s NIC must be configured to automatically get an IP address via DHCP.

5. Open a web browser -- if the browser does not pull up the GUI automatically, browse to http://10.0.0.1/, select 'Erase system configuration and boot with the factory default IOS image' and click on ‘Submit’.

6. At this point the Cat500E has been reset back to factory defaults. You can now proceed with the initial setup procedure.

The basic procedure to setup a Cat500E is:

1. Make sure that nothing is connected to the switch before you power it up.

2. Wait for the ‘Setup’ LED to blink green.

3. Press the ‘Setup’ button and a switch port LED should begin to blink green.

4. Connect your PC to this port. This PC’s NIC must be configured to automatically get an IP address via DHCP.

5. When the ‘Setup’ LED turns green, start a browser session on the PC.

6. Open a web browser -- if the browser does not pull up the GUI automatically, browse to http://10.0.0.1/ to configure the device.

7. Enter the network settings, username/password and click ‘Submit’.

8. Select ‘No, Thanks’ when the switch shows the ‘Recommended Smartport Assignments’ window -- you can customize the Smartport roles later.

9. Click ‘Submit’ to save the changes and finish basic configuration.

10. Click ‘Restart/Reset’ on the GUI dashboard.

11. When the switch comes back up, open a browser and go to http:// -- please ensure that your NIC’s IP address falls in the same subnet as the switch’s management address since the Cat500E is a Layer 2 switch.

This should resolve your issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: