cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CE500 Issues - Rebooting, STP, Etherchannel, & Voice VLAN

nrichie
Level 1
Level 1

We have 2 CE500's that are interconnected by the 2 cables in the Gigabit ports for an IP Telephony solution. We ran into the following issues:

1) Unable to assign the server port to the voice vlan.

2) Switchports being blocked by STP.

3) Switches rebooting randomly.

4) Connectivity randomly dropping LAN.

I called TAC and was told to upgrade from version 12.(25)FY to 12.(25)SEG becuase there was an undocumented issue of a command in the FY version. The command "IP ARP INSPECT" is known to cause high CPU utilization and the switches to reboot when utilized in an IP Telephony solution. Upgrading seem to resolve this issue. I understand that the newer version also lets you put a server in the voice vlan although I have not attempted to do so.

The remaining 2 issues were that sometimes a port is blocked by STP for no apparent reason. Also, we noticed about every 8th ping dropping out when we were pinging the local gateway from the server. I removed the EtherChannel from the 2 Gigabit Etherchannel ports and the connectivity stabilized. There were no alerts and TAC did not have anything about the issue.

We have decided to remove the CE500's and put in a 3560. I post this in hopes that the information proves useful to someone else.

3 Replies 3

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

Thanks for providing this useful information. For STP, there should be looped somewhere else. For the GEC, I have no idea and you can try to increase the timeout to determine the ping is too long RTD or totally dropped.

Eric_Carr
Level 1
Level 1

I can confirm that we're also getting random "port blocked by STP" warnings every now and then. We have a small voice lan on a single CE500.

I'm also having similar problems with IP phones on LAN.

Have you solved the issue somehow with this switch ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco