cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing from Static to EIGRP

eap
Level 1
Level 1

We are preparing to change our routing from static routes to the EIGRP protocol. Is there anything we should know prior to doing this? Would it be best to start from our remote sites and work in to the central office or start in and work out?

So we need to add the command:

eigrp 1

network 155.x.x.x

and then take out the static route that corresponds to see if it worked. Is this the best procedure to follow for all of our sites? Any of your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paula

5 Replies 5

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Hello Paula,

I would start at the central site and then take the remote sites in turn.

Basically you do not need any more than what you specified in your posting.

That is, if this were the only network range that you were using. 155.x.x.x is a class-B range where the network-portion of the adress consists of two bytes. entering network 155.x.y.y will result in a network 155.x.0.0 being used. The y.y will be ignored. You will need to enter all connected networks for each router, i.e. only those DIRECTLY connected to the device.

Changing to EIGRP might also be a good occaision to revise your networks IP-plan and move to a private range of IP adresses. 172.16.0.0 is a class-B range that you can use freely. 172.17 thru 31 are also available.

If you also need to redistribute static routes (Internet, remote-remote?) you will need to add the command -redistribute static- on the router that contains the static routes to be redistributed.

It might be a good idea to read through the configuration guide's task list for configuring EIGRP.

Regards,

Leo

Thanks for your responses. I also am unsure how to determine our autonomous systems. Is each remote site a different AS? Is there a Cisco document that explains this? I have searched and searched without success.

Thanks,

Paula

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

one gotcha with EIGRP . Make sure you use the 'no auto-summary' command under router EIgrp otherwise your routes will be summarized at the major network boundries

vincent-n
Level 3
Level 3

Hi there

I agree with all the posting and just wanted to add a little bit to the second posting by Leo that depending on the version of IOS, the later versions allow you to actually specify a wild card mask AFTER specifying the network in EIGRP. That is you can do "network 155.x.x.x y.y.y.y" where y is the wild card mask. I can't remember what version so it's best to check the Cisco Configuration Guide Book for your version of IOS.

BTW, don't forget that when you're carrying out the change over, make sure you'll use the IP address of the WAN interface (on remote routers) instead of Ethernet cause I saw people panic when they lost connection to the Ethernet interface and forgetting that they still have the WAN connection :-)