cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CHanging prompt on cat 5500 using snmp

cmccarter
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to change the prompt on a cat 5500 using snmp. I am anle to change the sysname by have searched every mib i can think of for something that will change the prompt.

5 Replies 5

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

If you have RME, then you can use NetConfig to do this on multiple devices at the same time.

Just was hoping to be able to do it from a script file. Not real sure how one could change the prompt on a couple hundred switches to the same as the sysname on the switch using RME though. Is there some kind of scripting allowed under RME?

Hello

With RME Netconfig :

Create a new job , select all devices you want to change config (must have same SW mode IOS or CATOS), then enter the command to change your prompt as you do when you change it on one switch.

After that you can start the job immediatly and then you get a job summary with failed and passed switches.

The issue that I am having is that there is no command that I know of that will change the prompt on a CAT switch to whatever the system name is. Each switch has a unique System name (ie houston-cat55) You can't just use the "set prompt' command in netconfig since every switch would be different UNLESS there is a macro that would be able to read the system name like:

set prompt $SYSNAME

bu tI cannot fine any list of such words in the help file

If you can write a script to generate config-files for each switch (you can also do this using the "mail merge" feature in MS Word, reading device-specific info from an excel spreadsheet), you can put all the configs on a tftp server, then use SNMP to copy from the tftp server to each device as described in this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094aa3.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: