cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Choosing ethernet LAN router

jdory99
Level 1
Level 1

I'm connecting up outside departments to my central LAN of about 10-12 users. About 4-6 or 8, or up to 10 departments. Each department has 1-8 users. I'll connect the outlying departments using Cisco 2950 switches and Pairgain MM300S modems/leased line to my central LAN "Cityhall". I will probably want to use VLANs. Internet connectivity is through a firewall to a cable modem via ethernet.

Eventually may connect departments using wireless or fiber.

I have an email/web server (linux) and a file share server (samba) that I will want to share with the VLAN, as well as printers. Over time there could be more resources to share.

Right now I don't see voice capability needed. Future?

I'm fairly new to this but am nearing completion of the CNNA course so am familiar somewhat.

I'm thinking 'router-on-a-stick' because the multiport routers (ethernet) seem out of budget.

This is for city government so looking to save the tax payers money..

Thanks, Jim

3 Replies 3

jdory99
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, in looking around, maybe a 3550 switch w/ routing layer would be a better alternative? I haven't studied them and costs yet, but am looking..

cheers, JD

Is it your own HDSL network?? Or the telco delievers it by single Ethernet with VLAN??

The 3550 is the cheapest 1000/100/10 switch. If you do not need anything other than IP and static route. It is the the best multi-port ip router for static route.

For me I will do this:

Forget all the VLAN bridging, do basic point to point IP/IPX routing.

In the remote office, cisco 2621 and 16 ports 10/100 EtherSwitch NM with in-line power (great for IP phone, NM-16ESW-PWR).

The head office cat3550 with layer 3 routing (for static route only) or cat3550 + cisco 2691 + 16 port 10/100 EtherSwitch with one GE (NM-16ESW-PWR-1GIG). You may not need the cat3550 if you have enough ethernet switch ports; but, the cat3550 is so cheap, I don't care.

my $0.02

M

To answer your question, it is not our own HDSL network but the local phone co. I don't know what protocol, I assume ethernet but it is just a single pair of copper phone wire. They say they can do 768Kbs with that and those ADC pairgain modems.

I'll have to do some research to figure out your suggestion. Don't know what a Etherswitch NM is but I'll search on the part no. Thanks. A router (2621) looks like it would cost around $2350 / office plus cost of switch as opposed to $750 for a 2950 and VLANs. But I'll look harder at it, maybe I don't know enough yet to know that my first thought wouldn't work. I'm still learning. It is a pretty tight budget here.

I do have enough switch ports for what I got at the head office, I would just need more for whatever department I wanted to add. So that 3550 may fit the bill anyway. Thanks, JD