cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CIR in on a F-R link

pblower
Level 1
Level 1

What determines whether or not the CIR shows up (in the form of BW = xxx) when the "show frame-relay map" command is issued?

6 Replies 6

m.singer
Level 4
Level 4

Since the command has no keywords or options and the only variable in the command output is "TCP/IP Header Compression (inherited), passive (inherited)" I guess this should be the one

vkasacavage
Level 1
Level 1

I don't ever recall having seen the CIR show up in the show frame map command........some providers do not pass that information in the LMI, you can see if you are receiving this by doing a debug frame lmi

Here is an example:

Serial2/3 (up): ip 192.168.10.50 dlci 56(0x38,0xC80), static,

broadcast,

IETF, BW = 16000, status defined, active

The "BW = 16000" is the CIR on the given PVC. It isn't related to encapsulation, so I think it must be something that a frame-relay provider puts in with their LMI. I will do the debug as you suggest and see if I can see it.

Phil.

We always see it on our frame ckts and it is passed along by the provider .

mikchung
Level 1
Level 1

One of the factors is the type of LMI protocol we are using. BW will show up if we are running Cisco LMI, it won't if we are running ANSI-D (LMI type can be determined by the show LMI command).

I haven't seen BW on LMI types other than Cisco (though my sample size is small), but it is true I have some circuits that use Cisco LMI and BW does not show up, even though the frame-relay provider has assured me that the CIR is there.

If the BW comes from LMI and since LMI doesn't know about sub-interfaces, would it be fair to say that BW could not appear on the mapping for a PVC on a sub-interface?