Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1600 Router config question.

smia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi -

Can someone please explain how I can avoid the following message when I power up my 1600 router:

%SYS-4-CONFIG_NEWER: Configuration from version 12.1 may not be correctly unders

tood

The router boots up fine after this with the modified config. Heres the other information of the router:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(3)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1999 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C1600 platform with 10240 Kbytes of main memory

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) 1600 Software (C1600-Y-M), Version 12.1(6), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

michael-faust
Level 1
Level 1

This is normal.

When the router boots it boots first to the image in the boot ROM. In your case 12.0(3)T. It then loads the configuration in NVRAM and looks for any boot environment veriables, such as system image, etc. If your saved configuration is from an image that is newer than the boot image you will get the message "%SYS-4-Config...". Don't worry. After the router gets any boot information from the config, it loads the system image and runs it. It then can recognize all of the commands in the config.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

it seems like you downgraded your router.

Have you tried to write running-config startup-config and reboot the router again?

This is the output from Error decoder tool:

1. %SYS-4-CONFIG_NEWER: Configuration from version [dec].[dec] may not be correctly understood

The software has detected that the configuration saved in memory was written by a newer version of software. There might be commands saved in memory that are not implemented by the older software version.

Recommended Action: Examine all the messages printed while the router was booting. For each message about an unknown command, determine whether that feature is required. If any of the unknown command features is required, upgrade to a newer version of software that supports the required feature.

Regards,

Milan

Hi -

Thanks for your prompt response on this, What I did was to change a few IP addresses on the router configuration, when I changed the IP addresses the Ethernet0, Serial0, Se0.1+Se0.2 were all on shutdown state. I made the changes and issued command 'write memory', the router re-loded OK, without showing >

%SYS-4-CONFIG_NEWER: Configuration from version 12.1 may not be correctly unders

tood

But when I enabled the interfaces (mentioned above) and re-loded the router the above error message showed up?

So, do I need to issue command 'write running-config startup-config' and save with command 'write memory' and then re-load the router??

Once again thanks very much for any input/help as I need the router to goto a remote site to connect to our network.

Can anyone HELP PLEASE - Need a answer very quickly...

Many Thanks -

give us a show ver

michael-faust
Level 1
Level 1

This is normal.

When the router boots it boots first to the image in the boot ROM. In your case 12.0(3)T. It then loads the configuration in NVRAM and looks for any boot environment veriables, such as system image, etc. If your saved configuration is from an image that is newer than the boot image you will get the message "%SYS-4-Config...". Don't worry. After the router gets any boot information from the config, it loads the system image and runs it. It then can recognize all of the commands in the config.

Michael -

My thoughts exactly, Thanks for your input on this, needed to verify before sending to external customer.

Much appreciated - Thanks.