cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1600 will not boot

david.bowman
Level 1
Level 1

I have aquired a Cisco 1600 router that had someone try to reset the secret password. He set the config-reg to 1x2102 instead of 0x2102 and now the router boots up to a blinking cursor and nothing else.

cannot enter via console or any other way as far as we can tell so we cannot reset the password as per the instructions detailed at the Cisco site.

Any help on how to do a hard hardware to default settings??

thanks, David Bowman

2 Replies 2

darrenj
Level 1
Level 1

I've just had a look at some documentation and the only way to amend the config-register is via the command line - on some other products you can change the config-register by manually setting jumpers on the motherboard. As the config register is stored in NVRAM, maybe you could swap out the NVRAM altogether. You would have to have a look inside the router to see if it is built into the motherboard. If it is, I can't think of another way around it.....

Thanks for the reply, I think you are correct in this but I was hoping for a fix anyway. It does not seem to me to be correct to not have a full flush or default run file if incorrect info was inputted.

Thanks again, david bowman