Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1700 Router

cisconoval
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to reach the remote network server which is using the Cisco 1700 router. I can ping the router Serial & FE interface but I couldn't reach the remote host. There is no accesslist and all.

I suspect that the traffic was not passing on to the LAN interface. Once the router has been restarted it works normal and after some time the same problem is occuring again and again.

In router log also I couldn't see any errors.

can some one help me out on this?.

13 Replies 13

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

if you could post the running configuration of the router it would be better for trouble shooting the probz.

Thanks for your reply. I couldn't post any configuration details in public discussion. Could you please advice the possible causes for this issues?

Thanks

ru getting any interface errors? any access-list in ur end? can u able to ping from the router to the pc?

There is no interface errors & no access-list also. The router is in remote plase, I can ping its Serial & FE interface but I couldn't ping the host which is located in that remote site. Once I restarted the router I can ping the host too. After some time again I am facing the same issue.

can you ping the remote pc from ur end router & also can you ping from remore router to the remote pc?

also ensure teh gateway IP address of the remote pc is the remote end router given?

No, I cant ping the remote PC from both the router. From my router I can ping upto remote router's Fastethernet interface.

I think here the Gateway IP is need not chk. Because I am only trying to reach the PC not from the remote PC.

Hi,

can some one help me out to resolve this issue. Its very urgent.

Thanks in adv

Mahendra,

Couple of quick checks:

1. Are you able to ping the server from the 1700 when you are not able to ping from the remote end.

2. If no, then is there a ARP Entry for the server on the router.

3. What about on the server, is there a ARP Entry for the router or the gateway

4. Is this the only srever that you are having issues or all the servers.

5. Can you check the drivers on the server NIC to make sure its updated.

If your problem pinging the server is only from the remote side, do provide some additional information on the types of links, connection, source/destination ip, routing, acl, etc.

Let me know if it helps.

Regards,

Arul

1) No I am not able to ping the server from the router.

2) No there is no arp entry for that server

3) No issues on the server end (like NIC, Driver or anything) its accessable with in the LAN

Its using the ADSL connection. There is no ACL on this.

Is any other way to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks

Hii

did u defind gatway IP to server, I mean if u defind any IP on ur FE of 1700 router .Then put this ip as gatway .

The Gateway IP address which is given on that server is correct. Please refer my previous post. I that I stated that once I reboot the router then I can ping the remote host from my system.

I hope here no need to consider the gateway IP right. Because I am not pinging from the server. The server is located in remote. I am trying to ping that remote server from my end. so I dont think to chk the gateway IP of that server. am I correct?

Thanks

You need to share the config to help troubleshoot faster. You can mask the IP details & hostname. Also if possible explain the same with help of small diagram.