Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco 1720 Router SSL Web timeouts

I have a network that consists of a Cisco 1720 (IOS 12.2 XQ1) ADSL WAN (using PPP authentication and NAT), a Cisco 3000 Switch, a windows 2000 server, 5 windows 2000 clients and 3 windows 95 clients.

The problem that I am having concerns the WIN2K clients and SSL web page timeouts.

The problem is bizarre because I have five Windows 2000 clients with IE6 SP1 and three Windows 95 workstation with IE5 SP1 and it is the 95 workstations that will work on all web pages, namely Internet banking etc. I thought it might be an IE6 issue so I reverted back to IE5 SP2 on one 2000 client .... did it work ... of course not.

OK I thought, well it might be that I have the security too tight on the router, so I stripped the router to bare bones and crossed my fingers, did that work ..... no no ... of course not.

So I thought to myself, could it be possible that I have a virus on the 2000 clients, well lets blow one away and see if we get satisfaction. I blow my laptop away, rebuild it ... did that work? Nope ... still no joy!

I sit back now and think this is really getting to me, so lets try and eliminate what we can. So I use one of the WIN2K laptops to initiate an AOL dial-up connection to test whether the IE6 browser works on the problem pages .... did it work? You betcha it did!

Where to from here ... well I thought about experimenting with a proxy server ... but quite honestly I dont see how it would solve the problem ..... so my next port of call would be to start adjusting TCP timeouts on the router or to look at implementing PAT or to ask for advice ... I think the advice will put me in a better standing ...... any suggestions???

HELP ME!!

Ken Harrison

1 REPLY

Re: Cisco 1720 Router SSL Web timeouts

Check whether your internet banking requires 128 bit cipher strength.

You can check as follows

IE-->Help---->About internet explorer

and look for Cipher strength. Your issue may be one of this.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content