cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2500 inbound traffic routing

jcakardic
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 2500 router with IOS 11.0(10) which is connected to my LAN and via a serial device and a leased line to another network. The router is not connected to the internet.

Now we only have outbound traffic, but soon we will have also inbound traffic, but I don't know how to redirect traffic that arrives to a certain port on the router to a computer in my network. I have also a 806 router with IOS 12, where this is done using the command "ip nat inside source static....", but this command doesn't exist in my 2500... How should this be done? Do I need to upgrade my IOS?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Jurij Cakardic

4 Replies 4

navasil
Level 1
Level 1

NAT is supported on IOS version 11.2 and later on 2500 series. Yes, you need to upgrade if you want to use NAT. Could you please explain more on why you need to redirect traffic that arrives ti a certain port? Can you use routing protocol with private IP instead?

The router is connected through a leased line to another router, which is not in my control. I will be getting traffic from that network to a certain port on the router on my side of the leased line, and I need to redirect this traffic to an internal machine, which will handle this traffic.

I just found out how much an IOS + RAM upgrade costs, so this is not an option, a new router would be cheaper :-)

Jurij Cakardic

TODD BENNETT
Level 1
Level 1

Jurij,

I would think that putting a default route on both ends solves the problem. Do you control both routers? Implementing a routing protocol on both ends works too (i.e RIP, IGRP).

Since this is a point to point connection no NAT is necessary.

This would be a solution, but I don't have control over the router on the other side. If there will be no ther solution, I will have to ask the people who control it, to create a route...

Jurij Cakardic

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: