Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 25xx Enterprise IOS upgraded

goncalo.gil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I currently have multiple Cisco 25xx routers (from 2501 to 2520).

They are all running 12.1x IOS version (IP only) and are fully loaded with 16MB DRAM + 16 MB Flash (2 x Physical Memory Banks ).

I am currently using only one flash for the IOS (>8MB IOS) but I want to upgrade to Enterprise/FW/Des IOS.

All documentation and software adviser tells me I have enough memory for it (DRAM & Flash).

What I am not sure about is if I need to do some "special" command to "merge" the 2 x physical Flash Banks into a single logical Flash. This way I will have enough Flash to do the upgraded.

I also understand one of the flash banks is set as READ Only and during the upgrade the Router will reboot and erase the Read Only flash. What I am not sure about, Is how will it handle the IOS upgrade across multiple flash simms.

Many thanks in advanced.

Gonçalo

4 Replies 4

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

You are correct; there is something to be done to merge flash into one large partition. I think that the following link will show you the way forward.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1831/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00800c6efb.html

Regards,

Leo

I seen the article but it is not related to my problem.

Thanks anyway.

G.

Dont worry about the hardware. Both banks will be seen as one unless;

Do you have 1 or 2 "logical" flash partitions, ie is your flash partitioned in software ? If it is partitioned into two logical units you will have to use the "no partition" command.

If you only have 1 partition then a simple format will do, this is done automatically by the router when you upgrade the image.

Cheers

mips

tomanderin
Level 1
Level 1

set the config register to 0x2101 to make the flash read/write, then upgrade the image, no special commands needed to "merge" the chips