cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2600 QoS examples??

kimtuomi
Level 1
Level 1

I have been trying to figure out the QoS configurations for Cisco 2600 with IOS 12.2. For some reason, the Cisco manuals (PDFs) for the subject are not very demonstrative and I would like to have some examples!

I have a situation where I am running a web server, ftp server and some dedicated game servers on a cable modem. The outgoing bandwidth is 256 kbps but incoming should be quite enough (some 1-1,5 mbps).

I would like to create a simple(??) QoS system, which simply passes through different protocols/traffic with different priorities.

For example, I would like to have web-surfing capability to be the best possible all the time; If someone is downloading a file from my FTP, it uses all the outgoing bandwidth and my web-surfing TCP ACKs cannot get out too fast, thus it is slowing down my surfing experience.

Also, when people are connected to my dedicated game server, they experience lag while playing because this FTP guy is still downloading the file!

Or I am running my web-server, and it is quite annoying to the outside world because the FTP still eats my outgoing bandwidth.

That is basically the problem and I would like to understand (have some examples to learn from) how to prioritize the different traffic streams. The point is, that ongoing sessions are not killed, but they are running "slower" whenever more important traffic is coming. For example, the gaming experience gets laggy but does not eat the whole bandwidth either. There should be some left for the happiness of the FTP downloader... Or if everything is being used for "important" stuff, there should still be some reserved to let other traffic through!

1 Reply 1

wdrootz
Level 4
Level 4

The QoS Technical Tips page contains a massive ammount of fantastic information on this subject, with example configurations abound.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/105/qos_index.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: