cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2610 as terminal server

vernon.tedrick
Level 1
Level 1

What cables do I need with nm-8a/s module if I want to use the 2610 router similiar to way the 2509 is used. If I use a the NM-16A, I have to use the CAB-OCTAL-KIT. I don't want to use the NM-16A. The difference between the two is the number of pins.

6 Replies 6

brian-mcmahon
Level 1
Level 1

When you say "the number of pins", I'm assuming that you need to support more than just the eight leads per cable that the octal gives you?

Info on supported cables for the NM-8A/S can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/aysynep1.htm

Which signals do you need to support, and for what kind of connector?

Thanks Brian for the response. IWhat I want to do is to use the 2610 and the nm-4a/s the same way you use the 2509 and the octal cable. Is this possible ?

Ted vernon

The 2610 can use the nm-4/8as or the nm-16a/32a. The nm-4/8s contain 4-8 physical serial connectors (using the 60 pin style v.35, rs232, etc cables). The nm-16a uses a octal cable that can come with rj45's for each line, this is the card you would want to use if you are setting up the 2600 as a terminal server.

But there's no obvious reason why you COULDN'T put an NM-8A/S to work as a terminal server, either. (Say, for example, if you already had one of those, but not an NM-16A.)

The only trick is cabling. If you ultimately need to plug into devices that use RJ-45 console ports, then you'll need appropriate DB-25 to RJ-45 adapters on each cable. Is that in fact what you want to do?

True, you would need to keep in mind dte/dce but it should work (1 cab-232fc or cab-232mt) per end device.

Thanks Guys...let me restate the issue. What I really want to do is to use the nm-4/8 the same way we use the nm-16. The nm-16 usea an octal cable with 68 pins to the router . The nm-4/8 uses a 60 pin cable to the router. what cable do I use that is similiar to the octal cable used with the nm-16

that has 60 pins and 8 rj45 connectors with ? Or how would I do it ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: