Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cisco 2611 routing problem

Hi,

I have a cisco 2611 with OS 12.3.15 and its e0/0 is configured with the ip 192.168.10.1. If i ping normally to hosts in the subnet 192.168.10.0 is ok. but if i use the extend ping with source address like:

ping 192.168.10.5 source loopback 0 then it can not get through. What would cause the problem? The ip routing command wass executed before.

Thanks

8 REPLIES

Re: cisco 2611 routing problem

Your host 192.168.10.5 may not have a default gw and/or it has no route to the loopback network.

Regards,

Leo

Green

Check your ACLs and subnet masks.

What is your loopback0 address? If it's also on the 192.168.10.0 network, then the router wouldn't be able to route it (can't route to address on the same network).

Good Luck

Scott

My loopback address is 192.168.1.1/24. There's absolutely no ACL here.

Here is the routing table

R1#sh ip route

Codes: C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP

D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area

N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2

E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2

i - IS-IS, su - IS-IS summary, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2

ia - IS-IS inter area, * - candidate default, U - per-user static route

o - ODR, P - periodic downloaded static route

Gateway of last resort is not set

S 192.168.12.0/24 is directly connected, Serial0/0

C 192.168.10.0/24 is directly connected, Ethernet0/0

192.168.2.0/30 is subnetted, 1 subnets

C 192.168.2.0 is directly connected, Serial0/0

C 192.168.1.0/24 is directly connected, Loopback0

VIP Purple

Hello,

can you check if the hosts can ping the Loopback0 IP address ? What does ´route print´ show for the route to the Loopback0 address ?

Regards,

GP

Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, from the hosts i can ping the loopback0 ok. I tried the command "route print" but the router doesn't recognise it.

Thanks

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Charlie

The route print command is to be executed on the host. It will show what the host thinks it has for routing information. In particular it would be interesting to know if the host had a particular route for that address or subnet. Also to verify what the default gateway on the host is.

It seems to me to be quite strange that the host can ping the loopback address but that extended ping specifying the loopback as source fails. In my experience most of the time when extended ping fails it is an indication that the target device does not have a route to get back to that address. But if the host can ping it, then the host must have a route to it.

I am wondering if there might be an access list configured on the interface. Would you be able to post the configuration of the LAN unterface, the configuration of the loopback interface, and would you be able to try the extended ping again, capture and post the commands that you issue and the responses that the router gives.

HTH

Rick

Purple

Normally would use a /32 mask for the loopback , something to try to see if get any different results. If you look at the route table it is summarizeing it at the /24 boundary , the route table should show the whole address with a mask of 255.255.255.255 . Try giving it a loopback og 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.255 .

Thanks so much for your comments. Finaly it works, the problem is with the nic on the host of subnet 1. It was a linksys 10/100 and i replaced it with an 3com then everything ok!!!

Thank you all again and stay away from linksys nic

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content