cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2620 Serial 1 Connect to Serial 1 ?

gundum
Level 1
Level 1

I try to connect connect router serial 1 to another router serial 1 on Cisco 2620 routers.

Is it possible to make both interface up ? Do i need to set clockrate ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

I guess you have used a v.35 back to back serial cable (smart serial connectors for 2620, in case u r using wic-2t) to connect between the serial ports. On the DCE end of the cable, on the router serial port, you need to configure clock (since this is a back to back connection)

int s0/1

clock rate 56000

Now to find out which end is dce and which end is dte, you can either look at the cable (most cables should have it marked "DCE")

Or else give a "show controllers s0/1" and you should be checking on the output for a line which says DCE or DTE. If its DCE and no clock is configured, then it should show up as "DCE, no clock configured". If there is no cable attached, it should show up as "DCE, No cable". When configured with a clock, it should show up as "DCE, clockrate ".

Hope that helps.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

I guess you have used a v.35 back to back serial cable (smart serial connectors for 2620, in case u r using wic-2t) to connect between the serial ports. On the DCE end of the cable, on the router serial port, you need to configure clock (since this is a back to back connection)

int s0/1

clock rate 56000

Now to find out which end is dce and which end is dte, you can either look at the cable (most cables should have it marked "DCE")

Or else give a "show controllers s0/1" and you should be checking on the output for a line which says DCE or DTE. If its DCE and no clock is configured, then it should show up as "DCE, no clock configured". If there is no cable attached, it should show up as "DCE, No cable". When configured with a clock, it should show up as "DCE, clockrate ".

Hope that helps.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: