Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco 2621 Router - Flash Erased

Hi All,

I did something stupid. yes it was me, nobody else to blame,I erased the flash memory on my spare 2621 router. I then rebooted the router and now I'm hung in "romomn" mode.

I have tried the two different recovery modes in order to upload a new IOS onto the router. From Cisco "How to Download a Software Image to a Cisco 2600 through TFTP using the tftpdnld Rommom Command".

I am using Solar Winds for my TFTP server and the replacement image (c2600-i-mz.122-34a.bin) is in the TFTP root. I configure all the proper parameters, then run "set" to make sure they are correct. When I invoke the "tftpdnld" command I keep getting the message that the "IP_ADDRESS" is illegal. Note: This was a spare router and not in production and had no config file on it that I know about. Iam hooked up through a concole cable using Hyperterminal. The IP address of my tftp server (laptop) is 192.168.10.155. I set 192.168.10.240 (spare IP address on my network) as the IP address of the router in romon mode, didn't know what else to put in since the router doesn't have an IP address set.

Next I have tried using xmodem to upload the image and keep getting a "time oiut". Yes, I have reset the speed up to 115,200.

I really need to get this router up and running as soon as possible. This weekend we're changing from BGP to RIP (going from 2 T-1 lines to just 1) and I don't want to change the config on our 3640 until I make sure the new configuration is working on the 2621 first. That way, if things go "south" I cna put the 3640 back into place and be back up and running in minutes.

Any ideas to help me get out of this mess?

Thanks,

Chuck

9 REPLIES
Blue

Re: Cisco 2621 Router - Flash Erased

whats the subnetmask you've defined?

255.255.255.0. As I mentioned on the router, I don't believe anything is setup.

Gold

The tftpdnld is very picky about the set variables. Be very sure you have it in exactly being careful about extra spaces and all upper case. You will get a different error if the address is correct but it cannot open a session with the tftp server.

I don't remeber if you must have a space after the = or you must not. I would try it both ways.

Will do, I will try again using all CAPS, I haven't been doing that before. Thank you for the tip.

Chuck

No change.

Are you just connected to the router via a console cable or do you have a ethernet connection between your laptop and the router e0 interface.

The reason I ask is I didn't see it in your post. I might have overlooked it.

Procedures for Recovering Boot and System Images

If your router experiences difficulties and no longer contains a valid Cisco IOS software image in flash memory, you can recover the Cisco IOS image using one of the following ROM monitor commands:

•xmodem—Use this if the computer attached to your console has a terminal emulator that has xmodem capability.

•tftpdnld—Use this if you have a TFTP server directly connected to the Ethernet 0 port.

You need

Also, are you entering the complete file

Gold

The only other thing I could suggest is to try a different terminal emulator. It is possible to get characters are the end of the line or even in the middle of the string that you cannot see.

For example you can put in

IP_ADDRESS=1.2.3.4 CTRL G

It will look fine but you will get the failure you are getting.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008007e5fd.html

Here is another guide on using rom monitor on 2600 and 3700 routers.

Hope this helps

Tom

Hi All,

I was finally able to get an image uploaded via Xmodem. The router has booted successfully now. I do appreaciate everyone's help and insight.

Chuck

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content