cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2948G L3 Boot error "device does not contain a valid magic number"

chiangk
Level 1
Level 1

At bootup, our switch goes into a loop mode and when runs into the rommon in break mode, sequence as follow:

ROMMON: Cold Reset frame @0x00000000

ROMMON: Reading reset reason register

ROMMON: Valid NVRAM config

System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(7)W5(15a) RELEASE SOFTWARE

Copyright (c) 2000 by cisco Systems, Inc.

ROMMON: Initializing exceptions

ROMMON: Initializing TLB

ROMMON: Initializing cache

ROMMON: Sizing and zeroing main memory ... 64 MBytes

ROMMON: Sizing non-volatile memory ... 128 KBytes

cat2948g platform with 65536 Kbytes of main memory

device does not contain a valid magic number

boot: cannot open "bootflash:"

boot: cannot determine first file name on device "bootflash:"

Appreciate if someone can shed light on this one, thx.

7 Replies 7

niranjanraju
Level 1
Level 1

I gather that the Catalyst Switch that you are using has 48 100 mbps ports and 2x1GBPS port. Check the type of booting that your switch is trying to use.Is it booting from the NVRAM OR THE TFTP SERVER.If it is booting from the Nvram then most probably it is a problem with the NVRAM card. Replace the same and try to boot the switch. It will work fine

Yes, the switch contains 48x 10/100Mbps ports and 2x 1GBPS ports. We have 4 pieces of 2948G-L3 get same symtoms. We don't know it boot from NVRAM or TFTP server. How I know in ROMMON?

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

The flash might be empty.

Try to boot from TFTP server or copy image via xmodem.

See http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/l3sw/4908g_l3/ios_12/18w522a/config/init_cfg.pdf

and

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/113.pdf

first.

Regards,

Milan

efrahim
Level 4
Level 4

Seems like either the switch contain the corrupted image or the invalid bootvariable..

You need to break into ROMMON by sendintg the break signal..and try to do xmodem..

Here is the note abut xmodem...

Understand which versions of software support the features you require and whether there are any hardware or software compatibility issues.

Note: You must be running at least software version 12.0(7)W5(15a) or later to be able to do Xmodem or Ymodem disaster recovery from ROMmon (rom monitor mode) on the 2948G-L3. If a system image is lost before upgrading to 12.0(7)W5(15a) or later, the only way to recover the 2948G-L3 is to return it to Cisco as an RMA.

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your reply and I found your support can help to solved the problem.

As I spoken before, I have 4 units 2948G-L3 meet this problem - can't boot up the IOS. I have tried to perform on 2 of them and they can boot up to IOS. However, I could not find "xmodem" command on ROMMON. The last command is "unset" when I typed "?" in ROMMON. Do you have any recommendation?

There are some older version that can't do the xmodem. If there is no option n you are stuck with that, then you need to open up the TAC case to replace them.

brucedavis
Level 1
Level 1

magic numbers are a reference for PPP. I'm not too familiar with all of the aspects of it, but I'm going to look into it now.

It appears like it's trying to load the flash from a PPP connection or something?

After reviewing other groups, you may need to open your case and reseat the flash.

Hope this helps.