Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco 2950 and Appletalk

Hello,

Hopefully a quick question. I manage a network of mixed platforms(Windows, MAC OS, Linux, etc). I have been researching a problem I have with MAC running OS 9.x connected to 2950-24 port switches. At times the Appletalk zone information and items in the chooser will disappear and re-appear. From reading on various newsgroups this is due to DTP(Dynamic Tunneling Protocol) being set to desirable by default.

From what I have read configuring switchport mode access on each interface and setting switchport to nonnegotiate should fix the problem.

Just for confirmation purposes, this will have no negative affect to ports that Windows or Linux machines are connected to, correct? I do not need to figure out which ports the MACs are connected to and change only those, do I?

Thanks for any help provided.

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Cisco 2950 and Appletalk

No negative effects. If the MACs/Windows/Linux stations are directly connected to the switch ports, use the macro command "switchport host"

switch1(config)#int fastEthernet 0/1

switch1(config-if)#switchport host

switchport mode will be set to access

spanning-tree portfast will be enabled

channel group will be disabled

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

No negative effects. If the MACs/Windows/Linux stations are directly connected to the switch ports, use the macro command "switchport host"

switch1(config)#int fastEthernet 0/1

switch1(config-if)#switchport host

switchport mode will be set to access

spanning-tree portfast will be enabled

channel group will be disabled

Bronze

configuring "switchport mode access" should be enough.

This does not affect ports connected to windows or linux systems. Actually, the 2950 now supports the "switchport host" command. This commmand is a macro command that applies the "switchport mode access " and "spanning-tree portfast" command.

This command should be applied to all ports that connect directly into a MAC/Linux or windows workstation.

More details on the advantages of this command is found at URL:http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/12.html

Thank you both for your replies. It was a big help!

Views
Helpful
Replies