Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2950 VLAN shutting down

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

i have got cisco 2950T-24, in that vlan 2 has got ip address of 10.1.1.1 /24, it is up & running, now when i create vlan 3 interface & type "no shutdown", vlan 2 interface goes down, why is that so? how to i make both the interface up & running?

4 Replies 4

Hello,

since the 2950 switch is a Layer 2 switch only, you cannot have more than one VLAN interface up and active at the same time. So, effectively you cannot create two VLAN interfaces at the same time...

Regards,

GP

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Anand

You cant have more than one L3 interface configured in ur 2950 series switches which is again a L2 switch and doesnt hve the support for more than one SVI.

But in case of 3550 or 3750 u can have more L3 interfaces based on the no of vlans supported by them.

But u can enable L2 Vlan in 2950 by enabling the vlan under the vlan database mode..

regds

k fine, i clearly understood, thanks a lot

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As others have said you are not creating a vlan , you are creating a layer 3 SVI . This is used to manage the switch only and thus you only need one address to do this , thus the switch shuts down the other SVI. To create a layer 2 vlan just do a "conf t" enter, type vlan XX where XX is the vlan number you want to create, enter . Verify with the "show vlan" command , should show the vlan you just created and it should show active .