cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2950xl creation of vlan

kjanakiraman
Level 1
Level 1

I am new to cisco 2950 xl switch and i wanted to create new vlans. The steps i followed are created vlan database and created a vlan 3 name test. Then i associated a ethernet port with valn 3 like int fa0/3 and in that switchport access vlan 3. I can see both the vlan state active when typed in sh vlan. But when i gave sh ip int brief i could not see valn 3. Then from config t i typed in int vlan 3 and in that no ip address. Now i could see both the vlans.

But i could see only one vlan up at any given time. When i go into vlan i and give no shut automatically vlan 3 goes to administratively down state and vice versa,

Can some explain me how can i make all the vlans simultaniously up and running .

Thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

You have done it correctly. All your vlans are up & active.

What you are having problems with is the management interface on the switch. You can have only one of them active at any time. It's purpose is to access the device via the network for management purposes.

Regards,

Leo

Thanks a lot for your information. That means. I will set an ip address in vlan 1 say 192.168.1.x and one ip address in vlan 3 192.168.4.x and configure port 1-12 in valn 1 and port 13-24 in vlan 3. Any of the port in vlan 1 will be connected to the ethernet interface of the router with ip address 192.168.1.x and any of the port in lvan 3 will be connected to the other ethernet interface of the same router with ip 192.168.4.x and after adding necessary routing statements on the router both the group should be fine with the network? Is it correct? If so if i want the systems between vlan 1 and vlan 3 to communicate with each oher i can di do that in the switch.

Thanks in Advance

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: