Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco 4000 router locked

I was trying to do a password recovery on a Cisco 4000 router and when it came to rebooting the router, it then became locked. I can no longer access the router through Hyperterminal. I have also tried to access the router through the network port but with no success. Is there any kind of hardware reset to set it back to some kind of default on this type of router. Any assistance with this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks

Robert

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Cisco 4000 router locked

Well, there can be 2 issues. The first one is that you set a wrong config-register value and now the console port speed is not 9600 baud anymore. Try different hyperterminal settings for the console speed.

On the other end, it is also possible that the router has a hardware problem. If you reload it, do you see anything on the console ? If yes, at which point in the boot sequence is the router hanging ? You can also try to remove all network module and try to reload it in case one of the module is broken.

Thanks for the help. It turns out it is the first scenario. I changed the baud rate and I was able to access the router. Thanks again for the help.

Cisco Employee

Good news it is working now. Do not forget to configure the config-register to a proper value such as 0x2102.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content