cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Cisco 4507 with VLANs and Norton Ghost

Hi Guys,

I have Cisco 4507 switch with multiple VLANs. The problem is that I can put Norton Ghost in one VLAN and it reimages the client with no problem.

But I want to reimage the clients in all VLANs in one go. Can some of the experts can tell me how to do that?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: Cisco 4507 with VLANs and Norton Ghost

We have a similar setup. We also have a 4507 with Norton Ghost. In this article on Ghost (Part 1-How Ghost starts the session)(http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1999033015222425), it saids that ghost client uses broadcast initially to contact the Ghost Server. Since it uses broadcast, the broadcast arent going to traverse VLANs. Thats the point of VLANs is to minimize broadcasts. So in other words, lets say a client on VLAN1 broacasts to communicate with the ghost server. Well, if the ghost server is on VLAN1, then it will work of cource because the server will see the broadcast. If the ghost server is on a different VLAN, then its not going to see the broadcast.

How we get around this is that we have a special NIC on our Ghost Server that allows the ghost server to access more than one VLAN at a time. In other words, the NIC enables trunking from your computer to the switch. So you enable trunking on your switch port for whichever vlans you want the ghost server to access. Then on the ghost server NIC, you set up the NIC to use those same VLANS. Now, the ghost serve will be able to communicate with any computer (ie ghost client) on those VLANS set on the NIC and switch port. The type of NIC that we have is a INTEL PROSet. There are other NICs out there though that have this VLAN capability.

Community Member

couldn't you setup a monitoring port? I know we took this approach for content filtering and for traffic monitoring (etherreal)

Community Member

I don't know a whole lot about the monitoring port but correct me if I'm wrong, if you were to do that, you would have to monitor every other source port other than the port going to the Norton Ghost Server. That way any other client's data would be sent (copied) to the monitoring port (port connected to the Ghost Server). Wouldn't this then direct a lot of unwanted traffic at the Ghost Server?

Community Member

Listen guys, I have found a solution. I just configured "ip multicast-routing" in the core and I configured the "ip pim sparse-dense-mode" under the VLAN the Ghost was on on.

Problem solved!!!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content