cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 5000 switch QOS/rate limiting help needed asap!

gskhanna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, currenty we have 5 Cisco 5000 switches with Supervisor III w/ NFFCII engines(6.4.5 catos) and 24 port 10/100 modules in them.

In each port we have a server connected directly to the switch. I need a way to Limit or set a minimum bandwidth for that port and a maximum or busrt rate.

I am unsure how to do this. Everything I see for bandwidth is for gigabit ports, and rate limiting seems to be for token ring only not ethernet.

Does anyone know how? All the servers connect at 100mbs to the switch which is fine. I just want to know how to limit their in/out speed to say 4mbs or 8mbs total. Or even Better is how to set a vlan to have each member port set the speed to 4 or 8 mbs or whatever.

Also is it possible to do qos on this switch by making protocols like ssh/telnet higher priority?

If this is not possible, all these switches are going to have the gigabit uplink module put into the supervisior engine in a week, and uplink them all together. Is there another switch or device I can have them uplink into that CAN do traffic shaping like I want based upon ip address and limit them before sending the packets to the router?

Please provide any configuration commands and/or guides.

Please help asap!

Thanks,

-GK

5 Replies 5

All I saw in there is how to classify packets.

Such as:

set qos ip-fliter 7 1.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

would mark all with source 1.1.1.0 network to any destination have CoS of 7. which means it hasjighest priority?

The only section about regulating bandwidth is in policing, which I cannot find any examples/guides on how to do.

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

We are upgrading our 5 5000 switches with the 1gigabit uplink modules that go in the supervisor engine. If I get a 4000 or 4500 switch, is it possible to do rate limiting by ip address on it for 500 servers?

or maybe put certain ip's in a vlan, and rate the vlan speed per member? (ie, each person in vlan10 has 4mbs of speed, or everyone in vlan11 has 8mbs of speed?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

-GK