Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6509 & SGI NLB

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

i have got cisco 6509(catOS) & SGI server(IRIX 6.5), so now if i wanted NLB to be configured in SGI, configuring etherchannel in Cisco 6509 will be sufficient or anything else to be configured?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The device itself will do the load balancing for you, No need to do anything on the switch, hence, no channeling. from that doc there is NO mention of channeling at all, hence, the device will NOT understand channeling. I was under the impression that the device suggest that you do channeling. Basically, you just plug and play.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

Yes, if NLB is synonymous to channel as in combining several port to one logical port. And I believe you must set the channel mode on as SGI will most likely not going to send PaGP.

but the following site says for layer2 no configuration is required. so i am bit confussed. just check in "Supported Switches and Ethernets" topic on the following link

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi/0650/bks/SGI_Admin/books/NLBS_AG/sgi_html/ch01.html#LE30424-PARENT

The device itself will do the load balancing for you, No need to do anything on the switch, hence, no channeling. from that doc there is NO mention of channeling at all, hence, the device will NOT understand channeling. I was under the impression that the device suggest that you do channeling. Basically, you just plug and play.

Thankz

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: