Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Cisco 6509 with CatOS and Native IOS

I would like to know the difference in implementation of the both operating system(CatOS and integrated IOS) in Cisco 6509. While deploying 6509 as a layer 2 device only with CatOS one need a sup II module but the same thing does not apply when having a native IOS. For this configuration one need a MSFC daughter card in sup II and a SFM. Please correct me if I am wrong. Please note the Cisco 6509 would be deployed as layer 2 only device and not a layer 3 device. Would there be a possibility to have only sup II with native IOS? Thanks.

Cisco Employee

Re: Cisco 6509 with CatOS and Native IOS

To answer your question, It is not possible to use Integrated (Native) IOS on a supervisor II if there is no MSFC present. The idea behind Integrated IOS is that there is one operating system (and hence one user interface) that controls both the switch processor(supervisor) and the route processor(MSFC).

Integrated IOS does require a Supervisor module with a PFC and MSFC, but a Switch Fabric Module is not required.

See for more detailed information regarding the requirements and procedures for upgrading to Integrated IOS.

CreatePlease to create content