Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco 827 crashing with PPPoE DSL line

I recently purchased a Cisco 827 router running OS (tm) C820 Software (C820-Y6-M), Version 12.1(5)YB5 to go with a PPPoE DSL line.

Every few days, the router will completely stop responding - the ADSL CD light, RXD light, Ethernet CD, Ethernet RXD and TXD lights will remain on continuously. Router refuses to respond to either telnet requests to its internal e0 IP or serial console access. The only solution to fix this is to power cycle the router. Once power cycled, everything works fine for another couple of days. It's done this a few times already.

I notice this is not the only product affected, previously a third party DSL modem in use on the same line would occasionally require a power cycle to start sending and receiving data on the line again.

Has anybody encountered this strange problem?

7 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Cisco 827 crashing with PPPoE DSL line

We need to see any console messages when 827 is getting in that funky mode..Keep the console plugged in and capture the activities..There sould be some error/traceback messages before it locks up..

OR you can try next version of ios..

If you need frequent power cycle pn any dsl modem on that dsl line, talk to service provider for that..Looks to me a line problem...

Many thanks for the quick response :). I'm doing that now, with debug atm errors, debug vpdn pppoe errors and debug ppp negotiation turned on. Hopefully it sheds some light on what happens. Is it a common problem with 12.1(5)YB5? It's an early deployment release too.

How would I go about getting an IOS upgrade, or SMARTnet contract if necessary? The router came without a contract, and was bought from a computer shop (the only one in town who had it).. I don't think they've even heard of SMARTnet.

Cisco Employee

How old the router is?? You can confirm the warrenty status of it using following url

http://www.cisco.com/public/scc/

you need username and password for above url to login to scc new interface..If you don't have that, pl. post the serial number of 827..

I can log in to SCC, but all it says is that I have no service contracts registered under my name, and my product packaging doesn't appear to include any of the required registration numbers. The serial number on the back of the router is JMX0624F0FB.

Cisco Employee

Router with serial number JMX0624F0FB is still under warranty so you can get ios upgrade for a valid problem with ios..But i still think the issue is with line not with the router because problem apprears with not only cisco router but third party router too.

Thanks. I'll check with TAC if I need the IOS upgrade, in the meantime I'll still continue trying to trace the problem. If I need a SMARTnet contract, I should purchase a packaged service contract from my reseller and activate it through SCC, right?

Cisco Employee

Right..Talk to your re-seller for Smartnet...Its better to have it..

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content