Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AP350 Vxwork to IOS Conversion

escadamcha
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to convert my cisco 350 from VxWorks to IOS. In the middle of uploading I received an error. Unable to detect source AP: Check: 1. Network connectivity, 2. User's Capability and 3. Whether SNMP is enabled in the source AP. However I'm unable to connect back to the AP using the browser interface. I also tried using the IPSU tool to get the IP address from the MAC address and that return a message "Device does not answer." Is there any other way to connect to the AP and reconfigure it? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

7 Replies 7

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

The following link have the upgrade failure procedure, it is for AP1200 but it applies to AP350 as well:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_tech_note09186a008019fea0.shtml

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't have access to the infomation on the link. Please let me know if there is another way.

The link works, Thanks. I did try to using hyperterm to connect, but the status screen does not load up. Would this affect the recovery?

Not sure what status screen you are referring to but if you follow the procedure below verbatim, you should be able to recover it.

Recover from a Failure

The menu that displays after the boot process is the VxWorks bootloader, which is functionally equivalent to ROM monitor (ROMmon) in Cisco IOS Software. Neither of the full operating systems is loaded or available, so neither of the full command sets is available.

Note: If the VxWorks bootloader has been upgraded to Cisco IOS Software ROMmon but Flash memory has no operating system available, the unit displays the ap: prompt. In order to recover from this condition, refer to the Using the MODE button section in the Troubleshooting chapter of the Configuration Guide.

Use these steps to restart the conversion process and get the unit back up:

If there is an 802.11a radio module installed (AIR-RM20A), remove it during the rest of this procedure.

Verify that the connection settings in the terminal application are 9600-8-None-1 and NO flow control (not hardware or software).

Format the Flash memory for the unit to accept the VxWorks upgrade image:

Press Ctrl-Z in order to bring up the hidden Format menu.

Press exclamation point (!, Shift-1) in order to choose Format.

Press 3 in order to choose Flash memory.

Note: 3 is usually the choice for Flash memory. But you may have to enter a different number, which depends on your setup.

Press Y (Shift-y) in order to confirm the decision to reformat the Flash memory.

The reformat takes a few moments, after which the bootloader menu appears again.

Transfer the upgrade image onto the AP.

Complete these steps in order to start the transfer of the upgrade image:

Press l (lowercase L) in order to put the AP into receive mode.

The file transfer protocol appears, and characters scroll across the line as the unit waits for data to flow to it.

In Microsoft Windows HyperTerminal, choose Transfer > Send.

Choose an appropriate file transfer protocol.

Browse to the location of the AP1200-Cisco-IOS-Upgrade-Image-v3.img file on the hard drive.

Select the AP1200-Cisco-IOS-Upgrade-Image-v3.img file and click Send.

When the file transfer is complete, the bootloader menu appears again. A file list also appears, which shows that the files that are compressed inside of the AP1200-Cisco-IOS-Upgrade-Image-v3.img file are now located in DRAM in the AP.

Transfer the files to Flash with the copy process.

Note: The files must be in Flash memory.

Complete these steps:

Press c in order to copy.

Press 3 in order to choose the Flash memory as the destination.

Choose the appropriate option for each of the files that are listed in DRAM.

Repeat Steps 5a through 5c (the c ... 3 ... file option cycle) for each of the files that are in DRAM.

Each time that you repeat the cycle, the bootloader menu and file list appear and show the progress of file copies from DRAM into Flash memory.

Power cycle the AP.

The upgrade proceeds as expected. During a successful upgrade, you see output that is similar to this:

flashfs[0]: Checking block 25...bad block number (-1)

flashfs[0]: erasing block 25...done.

flashfs[0]: Checking block 26...bad block number (-1)

flashfs[0]: erasing block 26...done.

flashfs[0]: Checking block 27...bad block number (-1)

flashfs[0]: erasing block 27...done.

After the upgrade finishes successfully, reinstall the RM20A as needed.

I'm trying to connect using Hyperterm, the boot process is not loading up. I'm not getting a ap:> prompt as well. The hyperterm stays blank.

bosalaza,

Don't know if you could still help me but here a detail description of my setup. I have a RJ45 line from the switch to power injector, from the power injector to the AP350. There is a serial connection from the AP350 to the computer.

Running hyper terminal, and setup as 9600-8-None-1-None. Tested with COM1 and COM2. The connection window reminds blank.

On the AP350:

The network light is blinking green

The status light is blinking green

Is the AP dead? Is my setup correct?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: