Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Cisco AP352/342 mesh networking

I have a network of six Cisco AP352/342s installed over an area. They basically have a single feed source node and 4 to 5 repeater nodes. This setup appears to work just fine and has been reliable.

Lately, I have been experimenting with having a second source node feeding the mesh. The setup I am using has all units setup as APs and with the option checked for the AP to assume the role as repeater if/when the ethernet link is not present. I did this thinking that this would make all the node hardware completely interchangable without programming. And.. it seems to work fine.

The PROBLEM; I notice that if I hook up the second source node, that sometime later one or another of the other nodes will have assocaited with it and all is well. But then.. When I later DISCONNECT the new source node, one or two of the nodes which were repeating the new node quit functioning until their power is recycled.

Anyone have a clue about this behaviour and how to get reliable switchover?

Thanks

Joe Mehaffey

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Cisco AP352/342 mesh networking

Try the Wireless TAC case collection.

http://www.cisco.com/public/support/wireless_launch.html

Community Member

Good suggestion, but there is nothing about my problem in the TAC case collection.

Community Member

I figured out why the Cisco AP342/AP352s repeaters linked to a Root Access Point node with a failed ethernet source would not release from the failed Root AP and associate with another (working) Root AP. It was because the "Loss of Internet Connectivity Action" was set to "No Action" and the Root AP maintains control of associated repeaters when this setting is used. To make the Root Access Point RELEASE repeaters associated with it when the associated wirelan source fails, it is necessary to to set the action selection for each Root AP to either a) Turn off the radio or b) Switch to Repeater mode.

When I made this change, everything worked as expected when one of the two mesh network feeds fails.

Since the setup of Cisco APs into mesh network configurations seems to be such a mystery :) to you Cisco experts, I have written up a little "How to set up a Cisco Mesh Network" white paper at: http://gpsinformation.net/articles/cisco352.html

Remember.. I am NOT a Cisco expert so any and all comments, additions, corrections, on my writeup will be appreciated!

Thanks

Joe Mehaffey

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content