cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco cat. 6509 routing problems

abekeris
Level 1
Level 1

We have a cat 6509 with an MSFC, we have different subnets in one VLAN, and within the MSFC associate to that VLAN we have 3 IP Address. The problem is that when we trie to route packets from une subnet to the other, the packes are distribuited over all the ports degradating the performance of the switch. All the ports are Gigabit.

How can I resolve the problem ? Can it be a problem with CEF or with mls ?

We have SW version 5.5(2) for the switch and IOS 12.1(2)E for the MSFC.

2 Replies 2

rfroom
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I am not sure you what you mean by "the packets are distributed over all the ports degrading peformance." Do you mean that you are seeing unicast packets on ports that do not have the connected device?

If so, review the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/143.html

This is not likely a CEF, mls or switch problem. It may just be topology or configuration issue (not a wrong configuration, but not an optimal config).

I would not be runing 12.1(2)E on my MSFC. I would look at later release. The same goes for 5.5.(2).

Yes, we have packets in ports that are not the ports connected with the affected devices......

I just resolve the problem...we have an AIX with two Gigabit interfaces, the AIX have the default gateway in one of the interfaces and when we make a request to the other interface, the first one is the one that responds, causing the switch to broadcast the packes to all the ports.

We are going to solve the problem configuring an etherchannel between the AIX and the switch with just one IP address.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: