cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 3524-PWR-XL

duc-vu
Level 1
Level 1

Please help with one question: we currently have a Catalyst 2950SX-24 running, two fixed 1000BASE-SX interfaces, with MT-RJ connectors. We think that another Catalyst 3524-PWR-XL, with the WS-G5484 modules, can be used for backup purpose. Is it correct ? Thanks for all comments.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

It should be possible to replace the 2950 with a 3524. For "straight on switching" there are no problems ahead and the uplinks will work as well.

The major difference is the 3524-PWR-XL can also deliver power to Cisco IP Phones. You will not need this feature when you attach PC's to it.

Regards,

Leo

View solution in original post

You don't really need to convert anything between modules. Just use a fiber patch cable with different connectors at each end, to adapt one interface to the other.

The multimode fiber patch cable that's in the MT-RJ port on your 2950SX switch now, has an MT-RJ connector at one end and some kind of connector at the other end: ST, SC, MT-RJ, LC, etc.

If you replace the 2950SX switch with a spare 3524 that uses GBICs, then the connector type on the end of the fiber patch cable that plugs into the switch needs to change in order to match the SC connectors found on the GBIC. You "could" cut the existing MT-RJ connector off and attach new SC connectors, but that would be a really bad idea.

Instead, buy a spare fiber patch cable with SC at one end (for the GBIC) and whatever you need at the other end (ST, SC, MT-RJ, LC, etc.). The "other end" should have connectors identical to the ones you use now.

The same issue comes up if you replace the 2950SX with a 3750 switch, except the 3750 uses SFPs instead of GBICs. So the end of the fiber patch cable that plugs into the SFP needs to be LC instead of SC or MT-RJ.

Hope this helps.

It should not be that complicated. You could attach a short cable that has MT-RJ on one side and SC on the other. Connecting the two male MT-RJ connectors requires a female interconnection-piece. These can be aquired for any type of fiber connector, so why not for MT-RJ.

Goodluck with it!

Leo

12 Replies 12

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

It should be possible to replace the 2950 with a 3524. For "straight on switching" there are no problems ahead and the uplinks will work as well.

The major difference is the 3524-PWR-XL can also deliver power to Cisco IP Phones. You will not need this feature when you attach PC's to it.

Regards,

Leo

Hi Leo,

Thanks for help. So you're saying that we should be able to plug in the 3524 with modules G5484 to replace Cat2950SX with MT-RJ fiber connection ? straight forward. We will try it but we believe you're absolutely correct. Thanks again.

Duc

Hello Duc,

In stating that the two switches are largely equivalent, I meant this in a functional way. You can move over the config almost without changes.

The WS-G5484 has SC-style connectors. I'm not sure about MT-RJ but I will check.

Leo

Duc,

Nothing better than a check. I have verified that the MT-RJ connector will not fit in the WS-G5484 GBIC module. You will need a different fiber cable to connect it to your network.

Regards,

Leo

Hi Leo,

Thanks again. So on the spare 3524 switch what module should we have instead of WS-G5484 to connect to MT-RJ fiber ? since the fiber cable is existing we cannot replace it.

Duc

Or is there any converter between WS-G5484 and MT-RJ connector ?

You don't really need to convert anything between modules. Just use a fiber patch cable with different connectors at each end, to adapt one interface to the other.

The multimode fiber patch cable that's in the MT-RJ port on your 2950SX switch now, has an MT-RJ connector at one end and some kind of connector at the other end: ST, SC, MT-RJ, LC, etc.

If you replace the 2950SX switch with a spare 3524 that uses GBICs, then the connector type on the end of the fiber patch cable that plugs into the switch needs to change in order to match the SC connectors found on the GBIC. You "could" cut the existing MT-RJ connector off and attach new SC connectors, but that would be a really bad idea.

Instead, buy a spare fiber patch cable with SC at one end (for the GBIC) and whatever you need at the other end (ST, SC, MT-RJ, LC, etc.). The "other end" should have connectors identical to the ones you use now.

The same issue comes up if you replace the 2950SX with a 3750 switch, except the 3750 uses SFPs instead of GBICs. So the end of the fiber patch cable that plugs into the SFP needs to be LC instead of SC or MT-RJ.

Hope this helps.

Dear Sir,

It's easy to replace the fiber cable if it was couple meter long, here we have 200m fiber cable between switches therefore replacing it would be very difficult. So the 3524 switch with G5484 modules would work only with SC connectors ? that is why I ask for the converter. Any idea ? Thanks.

Duc

It should not be that complicated. You could attach a short cable that has MT-RJ on one side and SC on the other. Connecting the two male MT-RJ connectors requires a female interconnection-piece. These can be aquired for any type of fiber connector, so why not for MT-RJ.

Goodluck with it!

Leo

Hi Leo,

I got it. Thank you very much.

Duc

Here's a link to a fiber optic adapters/interconnect sleeves that Corning offers. Typically they are used in Connector Housings or fiber patch panels, but you could use it separately I guess (click on "Fiber Optic Adapters/Interconnect Sleeves" link to bring up the PDF file; the MT-RJ adapters are on page 4):

http://www.corningcablesystems.com/web/privnet/privnet.nsf/ehtml/lanchap3

If you have many MT-RJ cables to connect it may be cleaner to bring them into a wall-mount or rack-mount unit. I use Corning's LANscape products (Connector Housings and Closet Connector Housing Panels) to provide wiring closet fiber patch panel access for anywhere from 3 to 144 two-strand fiber runs. Here's a link to them:

http://www.corningcablesystems.com/web/privnet/privnet.nsf/ehtml/lanchap5

Of course, there are other manufacturers out there (Amp and Siemon, for example) that make similar items. I just happen to use Corning's products most of the time, so I am familiar with them.

Dear all,

Thank you very much for your support. We have enough info now to work on. Really appreciate all your help.

Duc