Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 5000

sevans1979
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I just recently got a Cat 5000 switch off of ebay for my home lab. Everything works fine, all leds on the sup engine and two installed modules are green after boot.

My question is, I want to max out the sup engine to the max DRAM/Flash to run a recent CatOS Code. But I am unsure of what type of memory the sup engine will take. The switch has a sup engine I (WS-X5006), a ATM Lan Emulation module (WS-X5158), and a 12 port fast ethernet swithing module (WS-X5113) and two extra open module slots.

Attached is the show version output showing the current Software and Hardware versions.

I was also wondering if I will be able to install a RSM on this particular switch so I can do L3 switching aswell? Should I just get a newer sup engine? Like a Sup engine III? Or just upgrade the memory. I want to be able to run CatOS 4 or 5.0.

Thank you guys very much for your time. It is greatly appreciated.

Scott

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The functionalities of the 5000 also depend on the linecards that are with it on whether or not they can trunk or do etherchannel not just on the supervisor card . I believe you will need a supervisor III card if you want to do layer2/3 stuff with it .You can then check your cards to see if they will do what you want with the "show port capabilities" command. The layer 3 stuff is handle by the RSM which is IOS and the layer 2 functionality is handled by the supervisor card which is catos , so with these older models you are using 2 different OS's to do your configurations . Get a supervisor III with at least 32 meg of ram (will allow 5.X code,need 64 meg to run 6.X) and a RSM with at least 128 meg of ram , this will allow you to run the latest code for the RSM which is 12.2.32 at this point . What I would find out in the tests is what the layer2/3 testing is done on (what platform) as setting up a 3550 for layer2/3 switching is totally different than setting up say a older cat5000 with a rsm card and or a 6500 running hybrid code.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

this is really old and you don't have enough dram to run 4.X , you need at least 16 meg for 4.x or 32 meg for 5.X . This will not do layer2/3 , you would need at least a Supervisor III preferably with a PFC card and for the layer 3 side you would need to buy an RSM card for the routing portion . If you get these 2 cards and set up mls switching you have a very capable platform . We are still running these in our distribution layer of a major corporate network. If you want a newer platform to do both of these functions maybe you should look for a used Catalyst 3550 .

Do you know how much Flash you can max the Sup Engine I to? I found some 16MB DRAM modules on ebay for $18. But I can't find any flash for a decent price. I think I my just be better off buying a new Sup Engine.

What is your intended use of the switch?

Hey Willam.

Well, I have a home lab the includes a 1924, 2926 (based on the CatOS platform) and a 2950-12. I want to be able to do 802.1q and etherchannel with my new 5000 and my 2950-12. I know I will be able to trunk with my 2926 and 1924 b/c they all support ISL. I was told that I will need to upgrade the Image on my 5000 from my current 2.4(5) to about 4.X or 5.X to support 802.1q. This is why I am wondering. So I figured I would max out the DRAM and Flash on the 5000 to upgrade to those versions. I am currently studing for my BSCI test and will be tackling the switching test afterwards, and just wanted to get a good switch set up in my home lab. I know there is also Layer 3 switching on the test. I currently dont have the funds to purchase a used 3550 or 3570 so I was wondering about getting the RSM for the 5000 to have a little fun with Layer 3 switching. I understand that it is CatOS and not IOS. But it will still be fun, plus I would like to get some knowledge of CatOS even thought it is not used much or on the exams.

Thank you for your time William.

Scott

The functionalities of the 5000 also depend on the linecards that are with it on whether or not they can trunk or do etherchannel not just on the supervisor card . I believe you will need a supervisor III card if you want to do layer2/3 stuff with it .You can then check your cards to see if they will do what you want with the "show port capabilities" command. The layer 3 stuff is handle by the RSM which is IOS and the layer 2 functionality is handled by the supervisor card which is catos , so with these older models you are using 2 different OS's to do your configurations . Get a supervisor III with at least 32 meg of ram (will allow 5.X code,need 64 meg to run 6.X) and a RSM with at least 128 meg of ram , this will allow you to run the latest code for the RSM which is 12.2.32 at this point . What I would find out in the tests is what the layer2/3 testing is done on (what platform) as setting up a 3550 for layer2/3 switching is totally different than setting up say a older cat5000 with a rsm card and or a 6500 running hybrid code.

Thank you Glen.

I already tried to do the "show port capabilities" command, but there is no such command. I think my Image is to old. So I had to do it the hard way to see what my 12 Port Fast EThernet blade had and set up a trunk and tried to set up a etherchannel. It trunks fine using ISL, but does not support .1q. And when I issued the command "set port channel" it said etherchannel is not supported.

So, right now all I can do it set up a trunk with my 2926 and my 1924. Looks like I will need to get the Sup III and the RSM to do the stuff I want to do, L2/3 routing, etherchannel, and .1q trunk tagging.

I have two 12port Fast Ethernet blades that are comming in the mail soon, they are a new model. We will see what they can do.

Thanks you Glen for you input.

Scott

I agree that it won't get you much on the tests, but you'll learn massive amounts of knowledge, and the cat os is still out there in full force at companies, so it's valuable knowledge. I never credited the tests with much real world knowledge requirements anyway.

Thats pretty much why I got the switch. I want to have some good knowledge of the CatOS along with my IOS Skills. When I complete my CCNP I don't want to look like an idiot when asked to configure certian topics on a CatOS Platform.

Thanks again for your help Willam, and Glen

Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: