Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco hubs 2926 and Boca Hubs Help

Im a student and i need help question will be posted ....

A small medium enterprise co. has been utilizing cisco hubs model 2926 and boca hubs in a cascading hub configuration between the end users and the servers. Meaning the hubs are linked to each other without a network backbone. There are 4 cisco hubs - one on each floor in the network closet and one in the server room. boca hubs have been added to accommodate the additional users on each floor. the number of users have steadily grown to the point that connectivity issues have increased and functionally has been deteriorated-most notably are early morning and printer operations.

* 32 users in the a/p dept on the 2nd fl.

* 42 users in Accounting and a/r on the 1st fl.

* 25 users in the MIS dept and payroll in the basement

*print rooms are located on each floor

there are 250 remote offices that use dial up modems twice daily to connect to the corporate offices.

Utilizing WEB based information on the cisco and boca hubs develop a network migration plan to move towards a traditional backbone configuration for the corporate office and a frame rela for the remote offices.

pls. anyone, i need your expert........maria

1 REPLY

Re: Cisco hubs 2926 and Boca Hubs Help

Not sure if I understood your post entirely but hope this might help.

By the sound of things, you'll have to search Cisco web site for Campus LAN Design Guide especially on "Core, Distribution and Access Layers". These docs are pretty good. Anyway, I would recommend installing a Core/Distribution switch (like Cat6K or Cat4K) at the basement where MIS and the servers are located. From this Core switch, you'll run fibre up to the various floors which will terminate on something like Catalyst 2900 or 3500 switches. From these 2900 switches you will either cascade it to other floor switches or hubs (if you have to). Don't cascade the hubs though, give each hub a dedicated connection to the 2900 switch. Subnet your VLANs on the switch appropriately.

If budget allow, have a "routing engine" blade in the core switch to carry out VLAN routing. Have a separate router to route your Frame Relay traffic from remote sites. You'll have to think carefully about providing 250+ FR connections to the remote offices though. It might be a very expensive solution. An alternative would be have a single FR connection to the Internet and have the remote offices VPN to the corporate site. Doing this will mean you'll have an additional Security/VPN proposal to do. Have fun.

Views
Helpful
Replies