Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cisco Network Registrar

I running CNR ver. 5.0.8 on NT 4.0 service pack 5 and about once every 3 to 4 weeks I get the following message, "Server name /dhcp1/: 0 DHCP has used 2000 of its 2000 request buffers: the server is dropping a request." I reboot the server and it works fine until the error show again 3 or 4 weeks later. Anyone else seen this before?

5 REPLIES

Re: Cisco Network Registrar

You are probably running into some configuration issues. You may tuning certain parameters in DHCP.

Looks like the resources in CNR are running out due to some misconfiguration. Run through your config once again, maybe long lease times., etc., not sure just guessing.

Hi,

The request buffers are getting filled up, and that's not a good sign. The CNR is not able to keep up with all the requests that it's receiving. When you reboot the server, the pending requests are wiped away, and all is well until they pile up again.

It would also be a good idea to upgrade to 5.0.11 atleast.

temporary fix would be to

dhcp set max-dhcp-requests=1000

dhcp set max-dhcp-responses=2000

NOTE: responses must be 2 times the requests.

refer to command line for more info

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/rtrmgmt/ciscoasu/nr/nr50/cliref/cli2.htm#xtocid1012537

Cisco Employee

You should also try to make these numbers smaller since the server gets too busy while requests are accumulating. Usually 500 and 1000 is ample for most environments.

I have approx 2700 users that request IPs. What numbers are you talking about making 500 and 1000?

Cisco Employee

Hi,

I am refering to these numbers below

max-dhcp-requests=500

max-dhcp-responses=1000

you can start there, if you still experience this problem you can go 1000

and 2000 respectively.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content