Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco Noob

Hi All,

I have 2 Cisco 3750 switches. I've trunked a port on each switch to pass vlan information between them. Lets call them Switch A (primary) switch B (secondary).

Note: I have VTP in transparent mode, I have been instructed not to use VTP mode so that configuration is out of the mix.

My vlan is vlan 5. I was able to add vlan5 to my trunk port on switch A (verified), but that's as far as I got.

How do I go about adding vlan5 to switch B's trunk port with out using VTP?

Thanks very much.

Mike

2 REPLIES
Purple

Re: Cisco Noob

Mike,

WHen operating in VTP transparent mode, it's impossible to "pass VLAN information" between the switchs. However, you can pass data tagged with a particular VLAN between the two switches.

Here's what you need to to:

- create VLAN 5 on switch A

- create VLAN 5 on switch B

- create a trunk between switch A and B. You do not need to do anything else for this trunk to carry traffic for VLAN 5. By default, trunks will carry traffic for all VLANs.

Paresh

Ps. Pls do rate posts

Re: Cisco Noob

Thanks so much for the help! Worked like a charm. I was able to communicate between 2 devices on either switch.

With that being so simple to perform, why would someone have instructed me to use the "switchport trunk allow vlan add..." command?

Best,

Mike

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content