Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime License Issue

Zohaib Khan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I recently bought Cisco Prime NCS and got its license file as well from cisco and upload it but Prime NCS is still showing Unlicensed do any one else have similar issue. what i should do now. Cisco help is very slow.

9 Replies 9

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you using Prime Infrastructure 1.1 (NCS) or Prime Infrastructure 1.2 (or later)?

When licensing PI 1.2 or later you need to install both base and lifecycle licenses. Your purchase should have included Product Activation Keys (PAKs) for both. You use your PAKs to acquire the license from Cisco, either via the self-service portal or via a TAC service request.

If you recently bought the product and have software support entitlement, you should run version 2.0. It is a big improvement over 1.x.

Thanks Rhoads for quick respone. I bought Prime NCS with cisco hardware aswell. I check the version its mention Prime 1.3 but Cisco send me lisence of prime 1.2.  I send UDI information to CIsco in reply they send me a License file which i added to my Prime but unable to activate feature. I am confuse whether PI 1.2 License will work on  PI1.3 or not???

You're welcome. Please rate helpful responses.

Yes, Prime Infrastructure 1.2 base and lifecycle licenses will work with 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 and 2.0. (Assurance licenses, if you purchase them, are different for 2.0 only.)

You do need to install BOTH a base and lifecycle license for all Prime Infrastructure 1.2 or greater systems.

You should have received a PAK for each base and lifecycle and should then be able to send those two PAKs along with the UDI to receive two license files (*.lic) that you can then apply to your system.

You (or your partner / reseller vendor) should have also received an e-delivery option with a table something like the one below to be able to download the PAKs in softcopy:

Product ID (SKU)          Description

R-PI12-K9                 Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.2

R-PI12-BASE-K9            Prime Infrastructure 1.2 Base License and Software

L-PI12-LF-50              Prime Infrastructure 1.2 - Lifecycle - 50 Device Lic

L-PILMS42-50              Prime Infrastructure LMS 4.2 - 50 Device Base Lic

L-PI12-LF-50-LIC          Prime Infrastructure 1.2 - Lifecycle - 50 Device Lic PAK

(LMS license is included with PI 1.2 and later.)

I only have Base license file and where i can get PAK? Can you guide me about Base license whether it will work. I just add Base file result is Device ID and Feature which is Base and Device limit1 can see in attached Figure as well ...But In summary Type and Feature still show unlicensed why???

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Double check your order / invoice. The tool Cisco uses to create orders (Cisco Commerce Workspace or CCW) should require the person creating the order to include Lifecycle license to get a valid quote and place the order. If they somehow did not include it on your order, you need to take it up with them. (I suppose they could have theoretically ordered an appliance without any Lifecycle licenses for instance if it was spare hardware. This would be an unusual order though.)

If it is on your order, you just need to request the PAK from Cisco TAC (open case via telphone with licensing team or you can email licensing@cisco.com). They will ask for your order number to verify the entitlement (if you don't have the PAK you should have received in the first place). Once you have a PAK, that same team is the one that issues your license given the PAK and your hardware UDI.

Dear Rhoads,

Kindly check my last updated reply

A Prime Infrastructure Base license by itself gets you only a partially licensed product and you will not be able to manage any devices. At a minimum, a Lifecycle license must be added to Base to have a fully functional licensed system.

As I noted, your order should have included it the Lifecycle license and the fulfillment of your order would include the PAK(s) for the purchased license levels. If it did not, your vendor ordered incorrectly and you need to talk to them.

If the order did include Lifecycle license, then you may reference that order number and contact Cisco to obtain the missing PAK which you then use along with the UDI to obtain the license file.

Whichever of the two cases is so, until you get and install a Lifecycle license your system is not fully functional.

Dear Rhoads,

As you mention

"A Prime Infrastructure Base license by itself gets you only a partially licensed product "

But in my case i upload the .lic file for the Base but still type is showing unlicensed. not even partially licensed

When I say partial I was using the word in the generic sense. The licensing GUI will not say "partial".

The screen shot you posted above is what we would expect with a Base license but no Lifecycle license file applied.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: