Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco router 2801-activating another interface

jack_z_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

hello!

i have thing to do,i have a router: cisco 1801 and a laptop with winXP(connected to the internet).

At this router one one socket is activated and i have to telnet through this one and activate another one, i`ve already done that, but how can i activate this interface? i have to change ip address, please help me

thanks

regards

6 Replies 6

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

HI

Please elobrate on network diagram.

Regards

JD

what do you mean by 'elobrating on network diagram` ??

regards

Please explain your problem in detail...

If you just want to use one interface and this is a router interface add ip address and enable the port.

interface fastethernet0/1

ip address "IP address" "mask"

no shutdown

and connect the cable to the port it will be in up and up state - I hope..

But don't forget this is only the basic config, if you need you should add into the routing process maybe NAT..

So please define the exact problem and we can help more.

show ip interface

show interface fastethernet0/1

you can check the status of the port

bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.

yeah,that helped thanks!

but there's another problem.

when i take out the cable from the socket, and put it into again, i cannot ping it anymore,to do it i have disable and enable connection(in control panel\connnections) again.

Sockes is not active anymore,lamps next to it dont shine.

I tried 'keepalive' but it helps only for a while..

What shoul i do to keep active this socket all the time?

When you unplug and after plug the cable again, please check the status of the port with show interface "interface" - Make sure that the port is not in err-disabled state.

Also when plug the cable again, try to shutdow and no sh the port - just for test....

bye

FCS

Please rate me if I helped.

actually situation right now seems to be fine, even when i unplug and plug the cable again i can telnet into it without any problem,just these lamps next to the 2nd port dont wanna shine when the cable is not plugged,but maybe for this issue there's another command?

When the cable is connected to the 2nd port, its status is:

FastEthernet 0/1 is up, line protocol is up

(the first one at the same time is: FastEthernet 0/1 is up, line protocol is down

when i unplug the cable cmd console at my laptop freezes and i cannot type anything when i plug it again its ok,sometimes telnet shows 'connection to host lost'.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: