Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Switch 2950C

JUNKSA_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all,

I have 4 Cisco Switch 2950C Switches to be installed in a cabinet.What type of cable do I have to use to connect each other? Please be advice.

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Hello,

are you planning on using the GigaStack modules ? If so, you must use one of the Cisco proprietary cables (CAB-GS-50CM or CAB-GS-1M). If you use any other cable, you will not have connectivity.

Also, keep in mind that the 2950 only operates in half-duplex mode when you cascade it (at 1-Gbps forwarding rate). 2-Gbps full-duplex connectivity can only be achieved in a dedicated, switch-to-switch configuration.

HTH,

GP

Hello,

Acutally the 2950C switch (2950C-24 to be precise) is fixed configuration 24-port 10/100 and 2 port 100BaseFX swtich. Therefore, you cannot stack these switches using the Cisco x3500 stack modules or the CAB-GS-x stacking cables. You can either do a cascade connection via the fiber ports using a 1-meter duplex multimode fiber patch cable or you can do a cascade connection via the user ports using a crossover UTP patch cable.

If you ask me, go for the cascade over the 10/100 ports (if you have enough ports left after you've connected your users), you can also create a fastetherchannel for a greater bandwidth between the switches.

I hope this has been helpful.

Cheers!

Baris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: