Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco switch clustering in gigastack (ring) more than 7 swictches.

I install 4 Cat 3500XL and 2 Cat3550 with gigastack (daisy chain and the end connect as redundant link / ring).

The switches is configured as cluster. 2 Of Cat3500XL connected to Cat6500 using etherchannel.

I want to install additional 2 Cat3550 in this sytem in redundant (using gigastack).

Is this possible ?

As I knew, Cisco switches can use cluster up to 16, and stacking up to 16.

However, if this connection connect to another switches so we have more than 7 switches in daisy chain -

Will this additional switch break rule not more 7 switches in parallel.

Anyone can help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cisco switch clustering in gigastack (ring) more than 7 swic

Daniel,

you can have network diameter > 7 in your network.

My network has 9 in this moment.

But having 9 switches daisy-chained can bring you into troubles if one of them starts flapping, e.g.

I personnally would not recommend such a topology.

I'm using GigaStack GBICs just as a cheaper way of Gigabit connection between switches, i.e. I just connect two switches point-to-point with them, no daisy chaining.

Regards,

Milan

4 REPLIES

Hi,

you can have only 9 switches in GigaStack.

See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/modules/ps872/prod_release_note09186a00800d9cb0.html#xtocid67897

and

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c2900xl/29_35wc5/scg/swintro.htm#xtocid5

But I would not recommend such a topology - you might get in trouble with STP convergence, remember that the network STP diameter is recommended not to exceed 7.

Regards,

Milan

Milan,

Thanx for quick reply... and your suggestion is really help.

You are true, it only can support up to 9 switches for gigastack

I just realize that I misread the documentation.

Another thing, i read from

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a00800a2cac.shtml

it explain that redundant link is possible using gigastack as long IOS version are coming with same version and that is minimum release required for loop detection supported.

My really problem as you mention - I get trouble with STP diameter (>7) as my cluster switches are down and giving flapping ??.

Daniel,

you can have network diameter > 7 in your network.

My network has 9 in this moment.

But having 9 switches daisy-chained can bring you into troubles if one of them starts flapping, e.g.

I personnally would not recommend such a topology.

I'm using GigaStack GBICs just as a cheaper way of Gigabit connection between switches, i.e. I just connect two switches point-to-point with them, no daisy chaining.

Regards,

Milan

Thank you Milan, your suggestion will very contribute to my doubt according my current network.

I will try to find another topology which more suitable.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content