Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco Switch Question

Hello All:

I have an issue that I really have no idea why it happens nor what to do to resolve it.

We run a mix of Cisco 2900 3500 switches along with 2 hp 4000's. If I have a pc plugged into one of the Cisco's and then re-port it to one of the HP's, I cannot ping anything or access anything on the network. I show link on both the port an my laptop but no "connectivity". Any ideas on why this happens?

If I plug back into the Cisco, I'm fine.

Thanks

7 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Cisco Switch Question

Hello,

Start with checking the physical connection. As the cable works with the Cisco switch, check to see if the light on the port of the PC and/or switch lights up when you re-port the cable. Is the LINK light lit and is the ACT light blinking?

In case you use DHCP, do you have an IP address assigned from the server. For Windows, try "ipconfig /all" on the command prompt.

In case the address is either 0.0.0.0 or 169.254.x.x the DHCP configuration failed.

Check if the VLANs are correct on the port and/or trunks.

Post configuration snippets and more details to if you need further help.

HTH

--Leon

* Please rate posts.

Thanks - all hardware is fine. Both switches are configured with the default VLAN1. No DHCP, this was a static IP having the problems.

I can't even ping the switch itself....really very odd.

Bronze

Are you extending the same vlan info to your HP switches as you are to your cisco switches? Check to make sure that the trunks to your HPs are carring the proper vlans. Hope this helps.

All on default VLAN1.

Silver

Could this be an arp table timeout issue. When you are in the Cisco switch your port works fine, however by moving it over to the HP switch it does not..Possibly you need to clear the arp tables for both the HP and Cisco switches when you move over...

you may want to loging to the HP switch and verify that you are seeing a mac address on the port you plug into, also go into the cisco switch and do a show cam and the address you have on your machine, if it is still in the Cisco switch on the port and there is nothing in the HP there may be and issue with timout on the cisco and you are not getting any packets into the HP.

Thanks - will give it a try

Views
Helpful
Replies